In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1st year Winchester 1894

AirCommandoAirCommando Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired this rifle. SN 12611. The guys at the Winchester forum tell me it was serialed Dec. 4, 1895, Rec'd Dec. 26, 1895, and shipped Sep. 9, 1896.
001_zps5fvu3qyn.jpg
002_zpstjfin0v9.jpg
004_zpsnyyswwvd.jpg

They say it should letter as a standard 38-55 rifle, but the current configuration is that of a short barrel rifle. It looks like the barrel cut may have been done at the factory it is so good. It measures 21 1/2".

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And they were correct... your Model 1894 is a late 2nd year production, and it has been altered after the fact, not by Winchester.
  • AirCommandoAirCommando Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wondering, did Winchester work on rifles at customer request, like S&W does? Subsequent work to the gun, I realize, was mostly done by gunsmiths and individuals. I'm just seeing evidence of quality work to the barrel probably done a long time ago. Other mods I'm sure were owner done.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, If you sent your gun back they would do most anything to the gun if they got paid. That kind of work would show up in the records as R&R (return and repair) but not always. Sometimes it didn't get recorded but there is usually signs they had done work on it in the form of extra assemble numbers on left side of the lower tang or under the barrel. I would doubt it was Winchester who cut the barrel since its a odd length. Winchester where made on the even inches (22, 24, 26 and 28" etc.) most of the time unless special ordered. If your gun doesn't letter with a 21 1/2" barrel its going to be hard pressed to convince any Winchester guy that its correct. The quality of the work done to it as you stated could of been done outside the factory. Years ago there where many expert gunsmiths that could shorten barrels and recut dovetails to where you can't tell it from factory work.

I would pull the stock and mag tube and forearm and look for extra markings. Take good closeups of them and post them. There are some stamps that are normally there but there could be others that will tell if its been back to Winchester. I did look under a 73 barrel on one gun in question and found a stamp from a gun shop.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    They also cut the magazine tube. Removing 4-1/2" of barrel got rid of the magazine retaining ring cut into the barrel bottom.
    edited November -1
    Yes. I was told they used a forend tip from a takedown and made it almost like a button mag. Wonder how many rounds it holds?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I think it is the right forend tip, and probably holds 4 rounds. If there is a bore left it's a good shooter, but no collector is going to be interested except for parts. Sorry.

Also, kinda looks like a 3C rear sight elevator from a much later rifle. Front don't look original, either.

You are correct. The elevator IS the right one. From the other picture I thought it was not!
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not the correct forearm cap. I saw it on the Winchester forum.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
    edited November -1
    Well, the front sight is really cool; it is a Lyman with two little pin holes in it, one horizontal & one vertical. Not plugged up with dirt. Gathers light and glows in low light. I just tried it.
    010_zpsi5d3am7a.jpg

I believe the rear sight is correct, a series 22 or so. It looks like it's been there since day one.
    007_zpsmguoxdo2.jpg
    Here's the bore, looks good.
    017_zpsjnxadsxp.jpg

I like the history of the gun. It has a name on the stock...
    016_zpsyigrvzu9.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    And they were correct... your Model 1894 is a late 2nd year production, and it has been altered after the fact, not by Winchester.

Bert, I wonder what you mean by late 2nd year production. If they started making them in 10-94, by 10-95 that would be the end of the 1st year production, if my gun was serialed in 12-95, it would be 2 months into the 2nd year production, in my mind![?]
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AirCommando
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

Bert, I wonder what you mean by late 2nd year production. If they started making them in 10-94, by 10-95 that would be the end of the 1st year production, if my gun was serialed in 12-95, it would be 2 months into the 2nd year production, in my mind![?]

1894 = 1st Production year
    1895 = 2nd Production year

Regardless of how you want to look at it, it was manufactured in the second production year versus "1st year" as you posted.
    edited November -1
    Yes. It was the way the auction house described it, "Desirable 1st year production 1894", that got me. Looks like it is not so, but it is what it is, not as described by them. Thanks for all the help!

Terry