In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 mag brass

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
acquired some 222 mag brass stamped Herters Who made it??? Thanx

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Herters, went out of business during the early 80's. They were a large firearms and sporting goods, importer/distributor/wholesaler, located in Minnesota.

Lot of the stuff they sold under their name, was imported from Europe. At this late date, would be difficult to know, who was the original manufacturer of your brass.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea it was a great place to shop in the late 70s. Had 2 not too far away to choose from. I remember those silver boxes. Somebody might come up with it yet. Thanx
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The current stuff sold at Cabelas is made by Sellier & Bellot. Vintage Herters brass was made by Norma.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 10 original boxes of Herter's unprimed 222 Mag cases. They were "Made in Sweden by Precision Craftsmen". At Herter's time I think Norma was the sole supplier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Norma is what I thought but wanted to see if someone else thought the same or knew. Should be good stuff then. Thanx guys
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Herter's time I think Norma was the sole supplier.".........YUP, some of the best brass available at the time
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Might be old and brittle. Consider annealing the necks before you fireform to AI.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, some of their brass came from Finland also.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think Norma for old Herter's stuff, but I wouldn't bet money they were the sole supplier.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have time to sort through all of the boxes to determine how many of each are from which country but I do know that the Scandinavian defense industries have spent a lot of time in bed together. They have all been sold and moved several times in the last century.
    bsdoyle,

Herter's used two suppliers at least. I have boxes labeled 'Made in Sweden' and 'Made in Finland'. We had this conversation back in 2008, so here is an excerpt:

Norma was originally founded in Norway but moved to a Swedish town just across the border from the original home 7 years after its founding.

Lapua was founded in Finland and is still located in Finland.

Sako was and is still in Finland.

They are all owned by various conglomerates these days but the 'State' still owns a portion of each manufacturer.

Best.