In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Henry Golden Boy scope mount

T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
A customer of mine wants to scope his Golden Boy 22 mag. I've started to investigate what all will be needed, can't much say I care to much for their cantilever mount, I think drilling and tapping the receiver is the way to go. I could be wrong though, so I want to ask of those who have this type of mount of how well it has held up. To me, it seems like a minor hit on the back of the scope, rifle falls or smacks up against something, that that much unsupported mount is going to bend easy or brake. What are some opinions?

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you are calling the reciever is just a cover.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at this??
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/760058/leatherwood-hi-lux-william-malcolm-scope-mount-for-17-and-18-malcolm-henry-golden-boy-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

IMHO===a scope is a mistake on that rifle, never was designed for one, wrong cheek to stock spacing for them, just doesn't look right.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Use the Henry mount, works well as long as you use Blue locktight.

Never had a problem, and I think it looks good (subjective I know).

Why mess up the rifle when it's already set for the proper mount?

Best of luck

Note: I was told that the receiver was hard Aluminum with plating on the .22's, not "pot metal". I'm not scratching mine to find out.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for a while in 357, never had any issues with the scope mount I placed a small chunk of hard rubber under the back of the cantilever though, it took a few years of bouncing aroung on the four wheelers and never got knocked off. Only readson I traded it off was it was just to heavey to carry, I got it for my grandson, traded it for a marlin and he is happy as can be. I agree with the last poster just use the Henry mount and be careful, a good hit to the scope or a smack on the wall can knock ANY scope off.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be a big mistake to D&T the receiver. It is not brass plated steel. It is brass plated pot metal. Take the advice of using the cantilever, even going as far for a rubber bumper in the back.

Best
  • T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies! Never really paid too much attention to Henry arms, kind of disappointed in their quality now for their cost! I will go with the Henry mount, he will just have to be carful with it.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Browning 22 takedown rifle and their cantilever scope mount, it's their earlier slim, alumnium version. I use a 3/4" Browning (Redfield) 4X scope and while not what I would call a sturdy set up it's certainly strong enough to withstand the occasional bump. I bought a spare as back up.