In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ bolt action in 17 WSM?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if CZ plans to bring out a bolt action in 17 WSM soon?

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't heard anything. Friends who attended the SHOT show saw a Ruger "77/22" type rifle set up for 17 WSM, one would suppose that CZ would have shown their offering if it existed.

I'de very much like to see CZ bring out a bolt rifle in this caliber. The only rifles to choose from now is the cheap Savage, the expensive Browning 1885 or Franklin Arms semi, or to get a custom barrel for a Contender or Encore. I'm going to wait a bit and if the Ruger doesn't materialize order a Contender barrel from MGM.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the popularity of the 17 HMR, I don't think Winchester's 17 WSM Rimfire, is going to be with us long. Limited availability on both guns, and ammunition, from what I can see in my region.

I truly think they missed their mark, by not offering something with more hitting power, with an equally flat trajectory, perhaps in a 20 caliber offering. The size of that case, in conjunction with the extra bore diameter, surface area, should be able to get close to the same velocity, with the 32 grain 0.204 diameter bullets.

Best
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    tsr1965. I think you are absolutely spot on. Even a 20 cal 32 gr plastic tip should be able to get really close if not match the 25 grain 17 cal. I even tried to neck up some 17 WSM cases to 20 cal but they are too brittle in the neck area and they all split. Wonder is Winchester would just sell primed brass we could size to 20 cal to experiment?