In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Import my own guns

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am originally from the USA, but have been living in Austarlia. We have decid d to move back to the U.S. I have amassed quite a few firearms, mostly antiques. They came from various places, from local purchases to having my fathers sent over after his death.

Anyway, the way I read it, I can't just put them in with the furniture, they will have to be sent on their own. I believe they have to go to a firearms dealer. I believe the pre 1900 May not need to do this, but there are WWI and II guns as well, and it would be best to keep everything together.

Does anyone know of a dealer who has done this type of thing. I will be moving to West Virginia.

Thanks

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To pick nits, US law defines an antique firearm as "made in or before 1898", so you should no problem with them.

Anything else must be held in a bonded warehouse, where an "importer marking" & possibly a new serial number must be applied. And, it must be determined that it is a sporting firearm eligible for importation. So, lots of time, fees, charges, surcharges, & aggravation.

Neal
  • Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but that's not really what I wanted to hear.

I will have to figure something out. I'm not letting someone put stamps on 1905 English double rifles or a Persian art. Luger. Got to be some way around this. They are personal property, not for resale
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe your guns will not have to be marked in any way by the customs house or importer.

Look into an "END USER" document from the Us government. The Batf does not issue them.
    Bringing restricted guns {machine guns, larger bore handheld cannon, ect}, may be a problem unless you clear the exact item with the Feds.

I don't know your situation, but I know of a fella that made a large contribution to a museum here in the states with the "Idea" of the museum having a showing of his items [Not guns] but otherwise hard items to import. It went much smoother thru customs and all others involved when it was addressed to the Museum and they handled the
    Paperwork.

ADDED ITEM...

I believe you should stop using the word "IMPORT". you are not importing them , you are sending them to your self.
    Importing is for a resale item.
    Another thing are you a US citizen? may make a world of difference.
    edited November -1
    Yes I am a U.S. citizen. I had in the past sent rifles and pistols to the US for the brothers kids, martins and Webly and Scott s/s pistols. I always just labeled them as US citizen returning unrequired items to the US.

I'll go along those lines. Thanks all for the help, it's appreciated.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the took all the guns except single shots in the great ausie gun grab ? old and new
    were there exceptions I never heard of thanks it would like to respond
    edited November -1
    The Oz government basically called in all the semi-auto rifles and semi-auto and pump action shot guns as far as long guns. There are exceptions, some professions such as some farmers could keep them, a few other professions, certain club based shoots allow you to have them for your use at the club, and disabilities reasons.

If you go by the rules and such, you can still own whats left. It is strange, the pump shotguns were grabbed but not the rifles.

Not a perfect world, but manageable.