In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jager pistole; has it have any significant value?

BCannonBCannon Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
https://imageshack.com/a/BsEq/1

I have a Jager pistol with imperial markings and 1920 stamped on it. Does anyone know what this may be worth? I know that it was traded to an American by a Polish man in the 1950's and has not been refurbished. It was given to my dad by his neighbor in the 1970's

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have quite substantial value, IMHO. Very uncommon substitute standard pistol, used by the German military. During the First World War.

The 1920 marking would enhance the value. As it was a form of inventory marking, used by the post World War I German military. They were known as the Reichswehr.

Difficult to price it? As I have never seen a Jager with Reichswehr markings sold. My guess would be in the 4 figures, to a knowledgeable collector.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hop over to this forum. Some super smart experts there on those pistols.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?22416-Jager-Pistole&highlight=Jager+pistol
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Ian Hogg's "Encyclopedia of Firearms", this was one of the first pistols manufactured with mostly stamped parts. Made in 7.65mm during WWI, it was declined by the German military, but may have been sold commercially to members of the military. Mr Hogg states that < 6,000 were made.

This is one of those seldom-seen guns for which we have to dust off our reference books. I believe r-s is right, your gun is likely to get the attention of advanced German military collectors.

Cellphone photos are in a unique format not readily converted to standard formats. You might want to borrow a regular digital camera for gun photos.

Neal
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1