Tell me your thoughts 'bout a,,,,,,,,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
,,,,,,,,,,,Leupold M8 4X on a 1885 Browning for <150yd. for deer, bear, etc.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Not a BAD choice but I would rather have a 3-9X or even 2-7X. 4x at 150 yards Is slightly less then I want to see in detail
    is that the rifle you are going CAT hunting with [?] What Caliber [?]
    I love Nosler partitioned
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I prefer the VXII 2x-7x. It's still small, on 2 power has a huge field of view, but 7x is enough for longer range shooting, too.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Not a BAD choice but I would rather have a 3-9X or even 2-7X. 4x at 150 yards Is slightly less then I want to see in detail
    is that the rifle you are going CAT hunting with [?] What Caliber [?]
    I love Nosler partitioned

Karl,,,,,it's a 45-70 with 300gr. HP Hornady @ 1900ft/sec,,,,,,,,,,All my other scopes are variables and 99% of the time I never change the power from mid-range,,,,,,
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "4x at 150 yards Is slightly less then I want to see in detail"

For deer? You've GOT to be kidding.
    For decades, 4x was adequate for nearly every type of hunting. Only the smallbore target shooters and groundhog hunters used higher x scopes.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would prefer the Leupold M8-2x.

That gives you a wider field of view, making it easier to follow the deer if it moves laterally. Plus, that makes it less likely that you will accidentally hit a person/animal that is behind the deer (but obstructed by the deer that fills your lens at a higher power.

Neal
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 48,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4x on a lot of my rifles, but then I am a tad younger than Karl.[}:)]

You should be fine.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'd be in the minority here. I consider 4X to be more than needed. I use a Redfield 2.75X on my .45-70 with complete satisfaction.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,626
    edited November -1
    I use a 1.5x6 variable (or in that neighborhood) for more of my shooting at those ranges.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,,,,,,,,Leupold M8 4X on a 1885 Browning for <150yd. for deer, bear, etc.

Sounds fine to me.

Sure, you'll have a little more flexibility with the variable power scopes, but that comes at the cost of greater expense, greater likelihood for something to go wrong with the scope, and one more variable/dial to futz with when the chips are down.

As already mentioned, fixed 4x was THE standard for hunting for many decades, and plenty of people (including myself) still like these.

If you're REALLY anticipating taking 150 yard shots, a little more magnification certainly won't hurt, but assuming you're an otherwise OK shot with normal eyesight, I don't think you really "need" it. IE people still make those kinds of shots with dot (ie ZERO magnificaton) or even IRON sights, right?

More important, realistically, how likely are you to take a shot that far? Probably 90%+ of hunters never take a shot past 100 yards, and in many places there isn't 150+ yards of open space to take that kind of shot, even if you wanted to!
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,357 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway currently has the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 32"XLR 30 mm on sale from 799.99 down to 549.99. Just put one on a friends X-Bolt stainless stalker in 300 WSM and thus far we are tickled with it. On 10 x the FFP reticle makes for easy ranging and the reticle itself is great for long range correction of wind age and elevation. When cranked down to between 2-4 power, that busy, complicated reticle just turns down to a great set of centrally located cross hairs with oodles of field of view. I agree with what has been stated above that with that 1885 in 45-70, range limitations will make use of above 4 power a little bit of overkill as anything above, when dealing inside 200 meters will tend to unnecessarily restrict your field of view.