In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

School me on silencers please

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
Ok I have very limited exposure to silencers. I have fired ones on handguns before and I loved it. I am looking to put one on my AR-15 and possibly a bolt action rifle. My question is this...

Will a silencer on a rifle affect the long range accuracy and if so how much? Also point of impact? If I put one on a bolt action rifle it will be for shooting out to 500yds etc.

Along time ago I read all kinds of articles about how silencers make the firearm inaccurate and slows the bullet down which changes the trajectory.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by telohf
    Ok I have very limited exposure to silencers. I have fired ones on handguns before and I loved it. I am looking to put one on my AR-15 and possibly a bolt action rifle. My question is this...

Will a silencer on a rifle affect the long range accuracy and if so how much? Also point of impact? If I put one on a bolt action rifle it will be for shooting out to 500yds etc.

Along time ago I read all kinds of articles about how silencers make the firearm inaccurate and slows the bullet down which changes the trajectory.

Thanks for your time.

Both of those claims are inaccurate...pun intended.

No, it will not effect your accuracy, or POI, as long as it is a good one, and not one built on the kitchen counter. The bullet never touches the inner tube of the silencer. It also has achieved the same velocity as it had, previous to installing the sound suppressor, because it is leaving the same muzzle crown. Being that the bullet does not actually touch the suppressor, there is no way it slows it down.

EDIT 1

quote:Seems to me that suppressors work best with subsonic loads.

Subsonic is not really the best scenario for 500 yard shooting.

IF that is your belief, then you need to read up on the series of cartridges designed by an ardent wildcatter, by the name of J.D. Jones. The series you will be specifically interested in is the Whisper series...all the way from 6.5mm to 50 caliber.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,987 ******
    edited November -1
    " I am looking to put one on my AR-15"...........also be aware that as a silencer heats up it becomes (much) less effective. 1st shot= very quiet, next shot not so much...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One factor for effectiveness of suppressors is barrel length. If you do this be sure you can get an appropriate barrel for the suppressor you intend to use.

The suppressor might help get a second shot at an elk, but it will add both length and weight, so carrying it around the mountains will be less fun.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the ADDED benefits of a suppressor is that it will increase back pressure in an AR platform, thus enabling you to run heavier than normal bullets without (or with lower probability of ) neccesarily increasing powder charge. This seems to play out best in the 300 Blackout and in pistol length guns in general, but is an observable phenomenon in most I have shot.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Seems to me that suppressors work best with subsonic loads.

Subsonic is not really the best scenario for 500 yard shooting.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but the 500 Whisper does nicely on that one!? Suppressors work just fine on super sonic load, just obviously aren't as effective at "suppressing". Military uses them all the time on supersonic loads. Still makes figuring out the firing position a bunch tougher.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I was watching a show last week demonstrating suppressed guns. I don't recall what was being used but when shooting subsonic rounds the drop of the hammer was louder than the shot....however in supersonic loads the decimal suppression only amounted to 15-20 db which was determined to be just enough not to have to wear hearing protection.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to do a SEARCH on the forums for the word "suppressor".

Get back to us if you can't find everything that you ever wanted to know about them.

Neal
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Sub sonic loads will almost be silent. When the load is above the sound barrier you can silence the blast but the bullet will make a "crack" noise as it breaks the sound barrier.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suppressors don't slow the bullet down, they simply trap and slow the expanding propellant exiting the muzzle to reduce the sound of the shot. They can affect the POI, but they generally don't affect the accuracy. Hanging any weight on the barrel will affect the barrel harmonic and the POI, but if the suppressor is installed correctly, the accuracy shouldn't be adversely affected. As stated previously, the suppressor only muffles the blast, not the sonic boom of the bullet traveling at supersonic speeds. This is why subsonic loads are often used with suppressors, since the bullet is traveling at less than the speed of sound (about 1030 ft/s), there is no sonic boom/crack to contend with. I've shot suppressed rifles at well over 1000yds with good results, you're not going to have any accuracy issues.