In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 Winchester Highwall

ezfishezfish Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1885 with serial number 18076 and Pat. Oct. 7th 79 . No where does it state the manufacture nor the caliber. According to Winchesters site it shows the gun was manufactured in 1887.
I also have another that does not have a serial number but does have the Pat. Oct 7th 79.
Both rifles are at the gunsmith for a chamber casting.
I would appreciate any and all help. Both rifles appear to have a 2x-3x stock.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ezfish,

Welcome to the GunBroker.com Experts forum. You happened to come to the right place, and you are in luck on getting information.

It just so happens, that there is a gentleman on here that goes by Bert H. He is one of the foremost Winchester Experts on the planet, and has written, and co-authored several reference books on the subject. It just so happens that the darlings of his collection are his 1885 single shots.

I am sure he will be along shortly, and in the meantime, get some good clear, well lit photographs of your rifle to send him.

Best
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If neither barrel states the caliber or bears the name and address of Winchester, then the barrels are not original.

Replacement tangs without serial numbers were available from Winchester.

You can get a factory letter on 18076.

Wood may or may not be factory. A picture is much more help than can be imagined.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thks for info. Guns are at the gunsmith as we speak and I am leaving on vacation. I will post photos in a week or so. This is really a neat forum thks for all your help. ezfish
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 1885 serial number 18076 was originally a Plain Sporting Rifle (low-wall), chambered for the 22 Short. It was serialized in November of 1887, and received in the warehouse in January 1888. It was equipped with a 24-inch No. 1 round barrel, plain trigger, and plain stocks.

I can't help you with the other rifle without a serial number.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for info. ED