In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real World Mdl 70 value

Mark TMark T Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I know this is asked here all the time...but. Just picked up a 1948, 90,XXX ser. #, Win Mdl 70 in 300 H&H (300 Magnum) Stock is very good to excellent bore is bright and shiny. Slight muzzle wear and light blueing wear on bolt handle and the other "normal" spots. I would say 90%. It has an older, I'd guess mid to late 60s K6 Weaver 6power in Weaver bases/rings. It has a Pachmayr recoil pad installed instead of the original steel plate. What would the real value of this gun be in today's market? Not gonna sell it, been wanting one a LONG time, but just curious. [img][/img]HH_zpso37qgsvh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI, .300 H&H would have had a factory Winchester-marked red, solid, 1" pad, not a steel buttplate - so your buttstock may not have been cut.

I have a 1951 .300 H&H myself, and its original pad has been replaced by a Pachmayr as well. I think the factory pad may not have been as good in reducing felt recoil.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Not a 300 H&H. That would have had a standard buttplate. .375's came with a red pad, along with the .264 - 300 Win - .338 - 458.

Looks like a $1K rifle to me.

Look at page 74 of the Rule book. Rifle #3. 300 H&H #103767 with steel buttplate. Standard configuration.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree that the .300 H&H was not equipped with a recoil pad. However, the standard .264 Westerner did not have one, either. The featherweight .264 did.

And I think $2,000 is more realistic for a .300 in that shape.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    There where 37,186 pre 64 model 70 300 H&Hs built, they did not come from the factory with a recoil pad.
    From what I can see from your photo, that's a pretty nice looking model 70, I'm thinking that package is worth $1000 - $1,200 in the real world.
    W.D.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do agree mostly with what has already been said, but to my knowledge, some of the early M-70,s, did not have the rear bridge drilled and tapped. I am not sure what the cut off date was, either.

If that has additional holes, it is closer to a $1k rifle.

Best
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just saw a .300 H&H like yours sell for $1400. The guy was asking $1700.
    As mentioned to a collector, it's got some changes that they consider a devaluation. I don't personally subscribe to keeping a gun in pristine condition in the hopes it will someday bring more money. I don't trash my firearms either.
    But, that model is a particular favorite of the big money crowd here out West. And you can't get that rifle in .300 H&H anymore. They may pay a little much to those of us who wouldn't, but it's about the best way to get what they want without waiting.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm being a little bit picky about the rifle's present condition but didn't the original rifle come with a rear sight (it looks like it is missing in the picture and has a blank in its slot) and a front sight hood/cover?