In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

feasibility

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
my wife is wanting to step up in calibers. she currently shoots a model 660 Remington in 243, she took her first cow elk with it on 3-14 this year. she wants a 270 but I can't find one with a 11 1/2 lop. I shortened the stock on her 660 so I was thinking about getting another one and rebarreling it to 7-08 and fitting it to her size. it all sounds good but would like some opinions or alternatives

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474629715

Ruger's website says this has a 12.5" LOP. You could always add a pad.
    Check out any of the compact Rugers.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474681125
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she got a Elk with a .243, what does she need a .270 for? Got a safari planned for Africa?[:D]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jack O'Connor would be happy. I hunted a number of years with a 721 Remington in 270 Win. Bullet selection way back then wasn't all that great. I like the 7mm-08, perhaps a Remington model 7 cut to fit her.

A proper stock fit makes a lot of difference.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself one better...stick with a short action caliber/chambering. This cartridge I have in mind, has more energy past 400 yards than the majority of 308/30-06 loads, shoots flatter than the 270, and still only hits the shoulder like a 243. Yes, it is a very mild mannered beast, that simply performs better in both external, and terminal ballistics, than most want to believe. It is the 260 Remington.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kumate
    my wife is wanting to step up in calibers. she currently shoots a model 660 Remington in 243, she took her first cow elk with it on 3-14 this year. she wants a 270 but I can't find one with a 11 1/2 lop. I shortened the stock on her 660 so I was thinking about getting another one and rebarreling it to 7-08 and fitting it to her size. it all sounds good but would like some opinions or alternatives

Good rule of thumb. . .give the wife what she wants. [;)]

Yes, I'm sure there are any number of other calibers that will as well or better than a .270 . . .that wasn't the question, right? [:p]

My suggestion is to find her a nice .270 that she likes, then have the stock shortened to length. You did this with the 660, why not with another gun?

You can do that yourself if you're moderately handy, but it shouldn't be too expensive for a gunsmith to do it. While you're at it, consider adding a recoil pad.

Another option is to find a gun she likes then have a semi-custom stock made. If its a common gun make, you can often get a stock pretty cheap, and the action will usually drop right in.

EG, Boyd's has some nice laminate stocks available for many common models for only about $100, and they'll create a custom 12-3/4" LOP for only another $25.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I patently dislike the 270 for several reasons and advise against it at every opportunity. My suggestion is a short action 7mm08 with a short stock for the Mrs. I have a Wby Vanguard 7mm08 with 20" barrel that is a great little deer carbine. Keeping the 22" barrel would be advantageous both for increased velocity and decreased muzzle blast and there are "youth" stocks for the short action Howa/Vanguard series.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Find her a Remington Model 7 Youth 7mm-08.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestions:
    Model Seven in .260
    660 Magnum in 6.5 Rem. Magnum
    Ruger American Compact in 7mm08
    Ruger Compact Hawkeye in 7mm08

I own each of these and feel that any would be a nice upgrade in power for your wife.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah, my wife wants to kiss you. got her a pre-64 270 in featherweight design. got a bell and Carlson pink camo on it. gave it to her this morning. went shooting this afternoon with some of my 150 handloads. it stay around an inch, up to me for the final load. almost went for that 260 crap, but I've eat a lotta deer and elk with the old 270. give the wife what she wanes, yessir