In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10/22 Drop in trigger group

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
After a day of plinking with Grandson, have decided to upgrade the trigger on my 40 yo 10/22 Ruger Sporter, I think this will lend to better accuracy for the kids with a lighter pull and smoother break.

Any suggestions?
I am leaning toward the Kidd or the Timney.

What say you?

Mule

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both will be an improvement. Youtube has a video that shows how to polish the trigger parts. This also is an improvement. I like valquartsen myself.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Geri
    Both will be an improvement. Youtube has a video that shows how to polish the trigger parts. This also is an improvement. I like valquartsen myself.

+1 on polishing, at minimum, the trigger and sear. Look at the You Tube videos. Use the finest sharpening stone you can. I use an Eze-Lap super fine diamond hone and stone. Look for the current spots of wear and/or tool marks on the parts. Then lightly stone those areas being careful to keep the spot were the trigger and sear meet square to each other. You may find other rough spots to smooth out too. Just don't overdo it. If you're not happy with the results, then buy the aftermarket parts.

I once had a cheap CVA Bobcat percussion muzzle loader that had a terrible trigger pull. I pulled the side plate off and discovered that the main spring had worn a groove to the inside of the side plate and the sear and trigger badly needed honing. I took it from a 10-12 lb trigger pull to about a 6.

I've touched up the trigger & sear on a couple of my pistols that had a rough trigger pull with positive results.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently put a Valquartsen in my most often used 10/22 and am very pleased with it. But recently I checked out the new Ruger drop in trigger (links above). It is packaged so you can try it at the store without removing it from the package. It felt light and very crisp and at full retail was less than half what I paid for mine. I would try that if I upgrade another one.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased a Timney, but there is also Kidd. This was before Ruger brought their trigger to market.

edited 04/13/2015 12:39. I looked around and got my Timney for around $120.00 The magazine release lever is nice. I had forgotten about that. I also added a buffer (a piece of rubber tubing that goes over the rear crosspin that holds the trigger assembly in place).
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have switched to solely the Timney with the under lever magazine release. However, Ruger supposedly makes one that is a drop in, that has a nice clean, and lighter break, too.

I like some of the additional features on the Timney, with the bolt lock, and the underlever is awesome for not having to fumble with a Magazine release. When I got mine, they were around $129.00, and now they are closing in on $200.00.

I have tried the Jard, and Volquartsen, and yes they are nice, but the Timney is still the best bang for the $$.

Best
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Ruger BX today.
    Feels very nice dry firing, range report to follow tomorrow.
    Grandson says he is already in love with the pull and break. I am sure it will enhance his accuracy greatly.

Thanks for all the input.

Mule
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put in the (now $75. . .was less a few years ago when I bought mine) Power custom trigger kit in mine, and it was like night and day difference.

Its not a drop in unit. . you have to take the old trigger apart and drop in the pieces. IIRC it was a new sear, hammer, and springs. Came with shims, but I don't think I needed to use them. Whole thing didn't take more than 30 minutes, though, and no special tools were necessary.

Trigger is now crisp, maybe 2.5 lb, and has nice aftertravel adjustment too.

I'm not saying the dedicated match grade drop in trigger units aren't better. . .for the money they OUGHT to be. . .but for the cost, this is probably as good as you're going to get.

(EG, I'm not putting in a $300 match grade trigger unit into a $175 "plinker").

Ruger BX trigger didn't exist when I did mine, but for the relatively low cost, I'd definitely take a look at one, assuming I could locate one.