In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 Winchester high wall ???

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a gentleman contacted me that inherited this gun, He sent me these pictures wanting to know if I would be interested,,I am guessing its been re-barreled since its marked S&W 357 and he says granddad shot 357 mags out of it,, any comments or rough guess what its worth ?? sorry all the pictures he sent
1885.jpg
1885.2_1.jpg
1885.1.jpg
1885.4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a nice shooter. I get the feeling of an older conversion. Does it have any stamps under the wood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Reblued and wood refinished. Shooter only. Possibly a rebored original barrel. Drilled for a receiver sight.

My guess is a $500 shooter. Somebody may pay a little more, hard to say, would make a good big bore hunter, like a 45 or 50 caliber.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, maybe a $500 shooter. The extra holes in the receiver frame really hurt it.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with above the holes hurt it but still a nice gun. Interesting barrel markings makes me think an older custom job as well. The reblue looks like a nice polish job from the photos. Being as people like the original Winchesters more than the Brownings and the caliber is common I would rate it a little higher in the $800.00 retail range.