In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus Tracker 44 mag.

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
What is the current opinion on this revolver??? I swore years ago, that I would never buy a Taurus anything. But the prices on the Smithy's, and Rugers are getting pretty spendy. Any current experience out there with quality, and service. I do like the porting, and the ribber grip!!! Comments please THX

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have seen, the quality from Taurus, has not gotten any better. I know a fella that has a Titanium Tracker 44 Mag, and says he has no problems with it, and that he knows the President of Taurus personally.

My opinion, if you want one that will go bang, each and every time you want it to, then it is Ruger, or Smith & Wesson. If you want on that probably will go bang when you want it to, but there is a chance it might not, then your Answer is Taurus.

My next assertion is, if they can't make one that goes bang every time, what is the accuracy like?

At one time 20-30 years ago, Taurus made a decent piece...not so much any more.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pennies a day to own a gun. $1000 is like 15 cents a day for 20 years. My original 29 was about $350 in 1983 and still going strong - 3 cents a day so far and dropping.

A buddy has 2 Taurus 44 a raging something and another one. I don't like either of them but he does. They seem to shoot ok
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought a few, know friends who have some. One of mine is the "Totally Titanium" ported 41 Magnum with a 2.5" barrel (bang - ouch, bang - ouch ... OK, I'm done) and it works fine. Others have not and I've gotten rid of them.

The problem with Taurus (JMHO) is that their revolvers (never used a semi) don't have much margin for error. The cylinder stop spring is "just enough" to ensure function. The bolt itself is "just enough" thick. The hand isn't stout & fitted. It's too bad Taurus doesn't beef up their products just a bit & get better consistency because the action itself could be so nice & smooth. No rebound unit means the trigger return spring can be a little light & that contributes to an easy pull, DA & SA.

Maybe they should cut back on variety and concentrate on quality?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Gotta admit my most recent Taurus was a 8 3/8" barreled 608 about 6 years ago, but other than the cylinder release thumbpiece screw coming loose after 3 rounds of Big Bore silhouettes ; I can't find fault with it. Accurate, good sights, ports in the right place, smooth trigger pull, crisp letoff, beefy stainless beast!
    Nothing wrong with Ruger, but $700+ can be a bit steep.
    Especially with ammo in the state it's in.
    Guess we should be glad he didn't look at the Rossi.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think like anything else, it's a crap shoot, kind of like, never buy a car built on a Monday or Friday because the people who usually worked a station would call in sick and they would throw subsitutes in.

I've had their semi's and there were okay, but for revolvers, it was always S&W first and then Ruger. Taurus revolvers for some reason always felt cheap....Not as cheap as the Rossi's, but still seemed to lack substance.