In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

striations on win lever action receivers

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
were win lever actions released from the factory with what looks like scratches on the action sides? i have several older levers actions that have lines that look like they are under the blue-finish. thanks eastbank.

Comments

• cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are forging lines in the metal. They usually run horizontally on the sides of the receiver and will curve some. When the receiver was forged the metal is folded and scale and impurities get trapped in the folds. When the gun is new you would not of seen them but over time the metal in the fold oxidizes quicker than the rest causing loss of blue over the forging lines.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen/owned quite a few.. Not just levers.. Over the years I've read, and been told, they were milling marks.. And yes, they appear "under" the blue.. I have an absolutely like new Model 12 Trench gun with these marks under the FACTORY parkerizing..
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are forging striations, not milling marks. As Bob pointed out, when the steel was cold forged, it was folded over on itself (multiple times). Nearly all Winchester models will exhibit the loss of bluing along the striation lines.
  • metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Schooled about this on gunboards,realized I had an example.1996 restoration by myself/Turnbull restoration.Forge lines appear as dark streaks under carbonia blue.

DSCN4362_zpskcczyqlo.jpg
    DSCN4360_zpshzv2akkg.jpg
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by metalsmitty45
    Schooled about this on gunboards,realized I had an example.1996 restoration by myself/Turnbull restoration.Forge lines appear as dark streaks under carbonia blue.

DSCN4362_zpskcczyqlo.jpg
    DSCN4360_zpshzv2akkg.jpg

Who polished the receiver??
  • metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did,handpolished to 600 grit
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason the forging lines showed up right away in your gun is over time moisture works its way deeper into folds causing the metal to oxidize. When you sanded it down it looked great with the naked eye but if you put it under a microscope it would of looked porous.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg