In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Serial Numbers

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have noticed in some of the auctions part of the serial numbers are purposely covered or partially so. What is the reason for this? Thanks for the information and education.

God Bless The U.S.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have noticed knowledgable gun sellers in many cases indicate the year a gun was made based on the serial number. Is there an easy way to get this information for the novice. I have several guns that I would like to obtain this info........Thanks in advance
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 54 that is stamped 30GOVT'06 serial number 23060A. I was wondering if anybody can tell my anything on the history of this rifle. I thank everybody for their time with this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had several guns that were to be stored by a relative. Seems they were stored at the local pawn shop. I don't have the list of serial numbers since I gave them to the relative for safe keeping. I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do all guns the same model have the same exact serial number or does each one have a unique number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the reason (Some)people will not list the complete S/N when listing a gun for sale.The only reason I can think of is they are afraid it might be a Stolen Gun. Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a Double barrel shotgun made in belguim I believe in the 1880's by A. Greener. I am wondering if anyone knows when the Greener company started putting serial numbers on their guns. The only things on this one are A. Greener, Belgium. Lamanated Steel and the number 34. Also what does the number 34 stand for?

Caz1259
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you ran a serial number and it came back as "no history" does that just mean its never been reported stolen or in a crime? it was run through the massachusettes state police, also is a high standard .357 magnum a decent target shooting gun? last but not least, where the hell can you find a holster for it? i mean is this revolver like a smith in size, can it fit into those holsters?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dumb question that I, a self acknowleged expert, should know what the answer is. But I don't.
    When describing a firearm, the writer often includes a partial serial number on the order of 1234xxxx. Just what, in the way of theft or other misconduct via miscreant , does that prevent????
    It would seem unlikely to me that a full serial number would be of any use by the criminal boneheads of the world.
    Stan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If a winchester had the last four numbers scratched off, but the first two are not, and the number sequence shows its manufacture date is 1898, is it still in violation, or since its an antique, the missing numbers are all right with the law enforcement? Is there anywhere to find a secondary serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is there a site that shows mfgr dates for winchester rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has some old guns; a springfield 94a 16 ga. single shot and a remington 552 22 cal. We can not find serial numbers on these guns. Where are they suppose to be located? Thanks, john
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there know the site to check up on serial numbers to prove/disprove a stolen gun? Have a suspicious toy would like to check out. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been questioned in the past, but I lost the site I had used in the past...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are new to this site and wondered if you can tell us about the serial numbers. Most are listed as numbers and x's (as in 645xx). Could someone please explain??

Thank you[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are serial numbers always not fully disclosed? For example 1234XX.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided it was time to get a list of all my serial numbers. I did not find numbers on two of my guns. One is a Remington 514, .22 bolt action, the other is a Remington 572 .22 pump. Am I not looking in the right place, or do they not have serial numbers? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hava a Glock model 19 with the serial number 0000. I was just wondering if this affects the value of the gun?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    ANY FFL that you purchased from will have records as well as pawn shop . BUT none of this will do you any good unless you File Charges against Relatives FIRST They are the only ones that committed a crime And Charges must be filed first.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the State & City of residence. Pawn shops are highly regulated. They have to keep extensive records of all the guns, that pass through their hands.

That said. Your problem doesn't rest with them. It's between you and your relative. If you didn't get a written agreement with him/her?, concerning the disposition of the guns. It's a he says, she says issue. They are going to tell you, to settle it between you and your relative.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Yes. Take the list of guns to the local Police along with name, address and date of birth of your relative.

He will quickly give up the name of the pawn shop, then the Police will go there with the list of guns and his name.

After his arrest, the guns will be tracked thru form 4473 from the pawn shop. As long as the guns are still with the original purchaser, the guns come home to you.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mackcrane
    I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?Only if you're willing to report them as stolen to law enforcement and their investigation determines the required elements of an offense exist. A search warrant could then be obtained to examine the shop's records for who they went to.

From the wording of your question this doesn't sound like the route you're taking, but in absence of such a court order no FFL holder is going to supply info to anyone on their buyers.

If it's any help, if it does involve a criminal case you wouldn't have to pay those buyers anything to get them back. Stolen items, even if purchased in good faith, remain the rightful property of the person they were stolen from and no compensation from you could be required. Any money those buyers feel they're due would be a civil issue between them and the shop where their purchase was made.

At least that's how it works in my state.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good advice so far.

If you want your specific guns back, you are going to have to try to press criminal charges against your relative who stole them.

But that could be difficult if you don't have a good record showing when you gave them to him it was only for storage. When the police show up to question him based on your report that he stole them, he may claim you gave them to him (for keeps), so you need proof that they were only given for storage. Even with proof, the police/prosecutor might only be willing to pursue some sort of "breach of trust" charges, so the guns might not be recoverable as "stolen property."

If it is primarily the value of the guns you'd like to recover, you might just have a serious talk with your relative, and "threaten" to go to the police if he doesn't come up with the money.

If you really just want your specific guns back, and don't care about prosecuting/punishing your relative -- and your relative is willing to explain to you exactly what he did -- you might be able to buy the guns back. (For a fee, I'm sure the pawn shop would even make an effort to contact whomever they may have sold them too, to see if they can buy them back, but you're probably going to have to be paying a lot of extra money to do that.)
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laws vary state to state, but in many, there must be a successful prosecution of the thief in order for pawned property to be returned to the owner. This was enacted to prevent pawnbrokers from being victimized by two persons that conspired to (a) pawn an item, and then, (b) the other party claims it was stolen, and wants it returned.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on the original question, I would think the criminal charges would be embezzlement of some sort. The items were entrusted to the relative and were then diverted to the economic gain/benefit of the relative outside the terms of the entrustment. Nonetheless, criminal charges still need to be filed to be able to retrieve the guns from the pawn shop.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Only if you're willing to report them as stolen to law enforcement and their investigation determines the required elements of an offense exist. A search warrant could then be obtained to examine the shop's records for who they went to."

IRRC no one but BATFE can look at info on the 4473's..They can remove them from the FFL's premises , but only after signing a complete inventory of which paper they took...
    JIM....................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the information, everybody. I found out about the one gun that I thought I had misplaced was in a pawn shop and was later sold. That occured before I had to be sent to the rehabilitation center [nursing home] that I am still in for a while longer. What I found out was that the gun was sold by my kin to get money to help me from losing my home. Funny though, I was still living there and having no money problems. Any way I'll get off the subject and if you need to transfer or delete, I understand. As Josey Wales said: Somebody left the door open and the wrong dog came home--ME. Thanks again.