In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cheapish .40 s&w

InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for a reasonably priced .40s&w handgun. I'll be using it mostly for target shooting/plinking so it does'nt have to be great. The CZ 100, Steyr M/S series, and Ruger 94 have all caught my eye. What do you all think of these 3 guns, or do you have any other suggestion for what I should get.

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the 3 you mentioned all are good pistols in their own right, and neither is that far apart in $$$ from the other.

Suggest that you try each and go with the one you feel is best. If you don't know folks that alread own the models your interested in try ranges that rent pistols although you may have to look some to find the CZ and Steyr ... maybe a range near you sells used as well as new and would have a trade-in that they would be willing to let you test fire for a nominal fee ... anyway, if at all possible the "try before you buy" approach is a lot more economical than buying and trading in as you typically take a beating each time you do that.

I have fired all three and each rests/fits in the hand differently. Additionally the Steyr M series typically come with the trapazoid (sp?) sights ... they are quick acquiring sights, but a little getting used to is required.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    The steyrs are a nice gun, and if you want a cz they made a CZ40 in collaboration with colt ways back and they go pretty cheap.
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    need to try and shoot them to see which is best for YOU - really you should wait and save a few more $$ and get a Glock
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Trsut me I had a glock and I have a Steyr, so what does that tell you about how much I liked my Glock. Go for the Steyr. Better value, more saftey options, newer design than a glock and best of all its cheaper. You can pick them up cheap through cdnn investments.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Witness line. Good quality, good price.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Ruger. You will not be sorry. They are overbuilt and reasonably accurate. I have heard good things about the CZ but dont own any. I do own alot of Ruger pistols and have never had a single problem.

rug.jpg

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams
  • emmit50emmit50 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are just wanting something cheap for light use, about the cheapest is Hi-Point. A lot of people don't think much of them, but you should weigh the cost vs. what you expect and want to do.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm with Royc; look at the Witness line and just hold one in your hand; they can take former LEO only 12-rd. mags, and mine (Ihave one in 38super, one in 40s&w, and one in 45acp)just fit my hands so well that I've sold all my other clones but my SigPro2340 which takes 357Sig & 40s&w. I still hold out some hope for a resurgence in 38Super, but I think I'm well-equipped as it is.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID