In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Federal Power-shok vs Winchester and Remington

logger_bradlogger_brad Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
At my local discount store, they have Federal power-shok center fire ammo for 10.25 per box. Almost half of the price for Rem and Win. brand ammo. Just curious about the accuracy of the federals!! I have shot lots of federal rimfire ammo and have been pleased with the groups I get.Anyone on the board using Power-shoks?

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    While I haven't used the Federal Power-Shock's, I do use their V-Shock in .223 cal. for varmint hunting. The Nosler ballistic tips are devistating on coyotes. I also use their American Eagle .223 for target and plinking. I have always had good results with Federal ammunition. The V-Shock's perform great on game and are very accurate, I would imagine the Power-Shocks would perform the same.

Ben
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine...it will kill em just as good
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask anyone who reloads and they will explain the concept of barrel harmonics. Each gun's barrel likes something a little bit different, even those made by the same manufacturer. That's why we reload, to get the best, tightest, most accurate and CONSISTANT groups possible. Consistancy is the key and it's something that is hard to find when a product is mass produced.

I'm not recommending you run out and start reloading, but what you may want to consider is buying a box of each and taking your rifle to the range. Set out several targets, and shoot five shot groups of the same ammo using the same aiming point on the same target, you may be surprised at the results. Different grain bullets of the same manufacturer also print differently.

Then you need to consider what you will use it for. Many years ago when I first started out no one explained any of this to me. My friends and I would go to the range, sight in our guns with cheap plinker ammo, then buy the good stuff for our hunting trips and blame everything under the sun for a missed or missed placed shot.
    Spend a little money, find out what your gun likes to eat and then BE CONISISTANT. Hope this helps, by the way, I reload Nosler in several of my guns and they do have some stopping power.
    likemhot