In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Milled ak help

huffsdhuffsd Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a MAK-90 with a milled receiver. It has the oval 386 stamp in front of the s# the s# is 93 54948. the importer is A.C.C

above the mag well:
LEE
MAK-90 SPORTER
CAL 7.62x39mm

I payed 500$ cause I saw it was a milled Mak and it has what appears to be factory PRE-BAN furniture. Laminate pistol grip set. Every thing else has been import compliant though. Turned off threads and missing lug.

I picked it up from a FFL so im sure its 922r compliant just curios about the furniture and and if it has negatively affected its value.

thanks
sh

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a MAK-90, I believe it should have been sold with a "Thumbhole" stock. Especially in light of of no muzzle brake and bayonet lug.

I would be sure that it has the correct number of U.S. made parts, if at all possible. If not take it back to the FFL and have it made right or get your money back.

There are some on-line sites that give specific list of U.S. made parts, and the vendors that provide them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]100_3061.jpg
    [img][/img]100_3062.jpg

so guessing the furniture is a us part or parts, how do i know if the trigger group is made in the us?

I am a police officer, and i have never investigated an ak for 922r compliance. Just ran #s to see if it has been reported stolen. ha ha ha Dont think any of my buddys at work ever have either.

I think that would be an ATF investigators cup of tea.

I will do the right thing and look into it though.

Any one know if A.C.C converted these kinda like Century does now?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he knew your a cop, I'm surprised that he would sell it to you if it wasn't richous. Maybe he just didn't know the difference? Just give him the opportunity to make it right, all's that required is a certain number of U.S. made parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HA HA HA

Got my LE discount thats why it was 500 bucks, so im guessing the shop knew.

So how the heck do I I.D. USA parts? Are they going to say "proudly made in the USA" all over them?
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stocks look like USA made Iron Wood Design stocks. If you were to use a USA made mag, I believe that would give you the required amount of USA made parts. The fire control group should say made in USA if made here. Hope that helps and you have a very good rifle there!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So do the mods make it worth less?

What do you guys think this thing is worth? Is it worth holding on to or has its value as a colector gone out the window?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by huffsd
    So do the mods make it worth less?

What do you guys think this thing is worth? Is it worth holding on to or has its value as a colector gone out the window?

It is definately not a "get rich quick" gun. Its most worth would have beenin its original military configuration, with bayo lug, and barrel threads for break.

It appears the stock set that is onit now is a USA made set, and the only thing lacking is the lug and threads. I am a betting man, and am betting that none of the parts have been changed.

Its worth is somewhere between $500.00-800.00.

Best
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The wood on the fore end and top cover look like they came off an Egyptian Maadi while the stock and pistol grip are clearly something made in the USA. The internal parts would tell he tale as to whether it was 922r complaint. Who knows, it may well be. The milled receiver rifles were much easier to "re militarize" due to their receiver. The stamped MAK-90s came with (usually) a variety of odd cut openings at their receivers in order to make it difficult(though by no means impossible) to add a military stock and pistol grip. In my opinion this is another case of the gun, if in original condition and un modified, being more valuable then it sits right now. There is a glut of 922r compliant AKs out there on the market in the $500 range, all of which have been fitted out here in the USA with the correct number f parts to make them legal. There are however no more Chicom AKs of any kind, none have been inmported since 1994, and there never will be any more imported again. It is better to have the rifle in it's orginal condition.