In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .223

walleyes13walleyes13 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
What is everyone opinion of this rifle? Looking for Pros and Cons.

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 700 in any caliber is a great gun.
    A proven performer.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    A fine round, a good rifle.. the Houge stock would be nicer if it had side sling studs, and just the front stud as is for a bi-pod.

but still, nice.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    walleyes13....I have a very old Rem 700 Varmit Special that has about 500+ woodchucks and other such varmits to its credit. Now, it is in .22-250 but the guy has an old Weaver V-12 on top and still, to this day, will do a number on a chuck if these old eyes cooperate. One fine rifle that will go to my grandkids.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stock absolutely sucks balls.

CP
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    walleyes13,

The M700 rifle platform is a fine example of typical US manufacturing. It functions, it's reasonably accurate and easy adjustable by the owner or a gunsmith. The M700 platform is the same on all models, Remington just changed the barrel length, contour or stock.

The most significant drawback is the stock, it is worthless no matter what corrections we have tried to apply to it. The best place for this stock is in the garbage can. I have a box of 50 or more right now that need to be disposed of.

I suggest finding the lowest price available and plan on replacing the stock immediately with an aftermarket version which are plentiful and reasonably priced. Try to use a good quality fiberglass model or a 'laminated' plywood if you must. I would start with the Gunbroker Auctions to see if you can snag a decent stock at a good price. Failing that,you can check this link:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Don't hesitate on the rifle but get rid of that stock.

Best.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 296 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i will agree, the stock leaves alot to be desired but that does not mean it cannot be improved for next to nothing. i have used a cut-to- fit peice of motor mount (the hard dense rubber)to fill in the void in front of the barrel tang, about three inches worth, glued in with burchwoods' bedrock two part goop, then gone ahead and bedded the action and floated the barrel. after i found the load it liked best my .223 sps remington model 700 shoots 3/8's inch four shot groups at 100 yrds right along with the expensive stocked rifles. if i can do it anyone can. good luck if you decied to purchase one.