In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt junior

bwoods62bwoods62 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
i know this might sound stupid, but after inheriting a colt junior 25acp, the barrel was missing and was unable to find it. then i went to a gun show and purchased one, and was wondering if these barrels are supposed to be rifled or not

Comments

• Options
    bwoods62bwoods62 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone have or shoot one of these? I've got my eye on a 22 Short and a 25acp that I might do a trade on. I've seen the blue book, and I've seen them for sale for more than the blue book, so what is the typical value? The 22 Short says Colt Junior, the 25 says colt automatic. Both are blue with hammers. The 22Short has Medium Walnut grips with an outline. The 25 has real dark or even black walnut grips, both have silver Colt medallions. The mags on both are nickel or chrome, or SS.Any info on functionality would be appreciated. Also, how do you dissassemble these?Roy
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If what you bought is a smooth bore, you've been had. It would take thousands of rounds to shoot a barrel smooth. I wonder if someone tinkered with it and removed the rifling. If they did and removed the step at the front of the chamber, ammo will just drop into the barrel as .25 acp chambers on the front edge of the shell.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .25 acp chambers on the rim.
    The barrel may just be extremely dirty.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are unable to get a refund, you will have difficulty finding a replacement barrel. Colt Jr's were made by at least 2 companies for Colt; if yours is stamped MADE IN SPAIN, the Astra Cub barrel is the same.

Neal
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The name "Colt Junior" is only correct on the Spanish-made, Astra Cub clones and will be stamped thus on the slides of the Spanish guns. Therefore, only Astra made the Colt Junior. These Spanish Astra guns have a "CC" prefix on the serial number, and are stamped "Made in Spain for Colt's" on the frame behind the trigger on the right side.

When the 1968 Firearms Control Act was passed, the further importation of the Junior was forbidden as "non-sporting." In 1970, Colt contracted to have Firearms International make the same gun in Florida. These guns are not stamped "Junior," but are instead stamped "Automatic .25." These Florida FI guns have an "OD" prefix on the serial number.

The "Junior" and the "Automatic .25" are not the same gun, nor do they have the same maker.

I cannot imagine anyone would remove the rifling from a .25ACP barrel. Why? There are no shot shells for the .25ACP. I am surprised that anyone had a barrel for one of these guns for sale, but the lack of rifling is even more puzzling. Is the barrel stamped ".25ACP?" There are .22 caliber Juniors and I guess it is possible for one to be leaded up so badly that the rifling appears gone, but that is highly unlikely. More likely, someone reloaded lead bullets in a .25ACP and the shallow rifling is full of lead because it would no properly "bite" into the lead bullet and allowed it to "skid" down the bore, thus leading it up badly. I would check that issue first.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a bad little gun but pales in comparison to the Quintessential pocket .25, the Baby Browning. Another sad casualty of Teddy Kennedy's "legacy" aka the '68 GCA.