In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wincheter Feather weight westerner .264 mag

cys1957cys1957 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a pre 64 winchester feather weight model 70 264 mag the serial number puts its manufacture in october of 61 the looks to me to be all original except it has a recoil pad that is brown and marked pachmyer the pad looks exactly like the pad shown in the riflemans rifle except for color and the winchester logo. The length of pull is correct and the pad looks the age of the rifle all in very good condition. The serial number makes this rifle early in the production of the feather weight westerner and pachmeyer made the winchester pads for this rifle is it possible this is original or is it an add on. Thanks hope some one can help with this

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The pad is after market, the 264 didn't come with a recoil pad.
    W.D.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cys1957,

Hello, and welcome to the Experts forum here on Gunbroker.

In order to give you more information on your rifle, we need to see some pictures that are clear, close up, and well lit. There is a sticky near the top of the list of threads, that describes how to post pictures, and you will need to use a photohosting website, such as, but not limited to Photobucket.

Sounds like a very nice rifle, but I just hope the stock was not cut when the recoil pad was installed.

Best
  • Options
    cys1957cys1957 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am having trouble figuring out how to post some pictures of my 264 here. In Rodger Rule's book "The Rifleman's Rifle" page 80 under the discription of the featheweight the 264 was added to featherweight line in mid 1962 and was the only featheweight to have a recoil pad theres a color picture of the featherweight westerner on page 83 and a detailed piture of the new type ventilated recoil pad that replaced the solid pad around 1959 [page 153]. The recoil pad on my rifle is the same as the ventilated one shown there with the exception of color and pachmeyer in the rectangular box where winchester is. The length of pull is 13.5" as it should be. The serial number make my rifles man. date late 1961 maybe it was a prototype it doesn't make sense to me that someone would replace the red pad with a brown one but who knows. Thanks
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    The .264 westerner Standard Rifle was introduced in 1959 and was the only Mod 70 magnum that did not have a recoil pad as standard. When they added it to the Featherweight Line in 1961-62 it was with the new ventilated pad, which was made by Pachmayr for Winchester and had the Winchester Name on it (Roger Rule pg 152). Your pad could have been swapped out for a different one without any modification to the stock.