In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home Defense

pigfarmer05pigfarmer05 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I know this subject has been covered before, but I can't find it. I'm only interested in firing my Walther PPS equiped with a laser and light, one time at somebody less than 15 feet from me, in a heavy jacket, coming into my bedroom in the middle of the night. I want his next stop to be the morgue. What round do I want?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any thoughts (pro & con) about using the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 590 for home defense? Is either one a better shotgun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you had to pick between the glock 19 or the 30 which is better for home defense
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a PMR-30. I am impressed with it. I am thinking about replacing the 1911 colt with it for night time home defense. Given the capacity of the PMR vs the knock down of the 1911 its more a less a toss up. Any suggestions on personal preference. And no I dont want both in my nightstand. Way too many grandkids.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck with the CCI 30 grain JHP's. These are the ones with the nickel plated cases. Very high velocity, north of 1500 fps. Even from the short barreled PMR.

In the confined quarters of a darkened room though. The muzzle blast and muzzle flash, would be horrendous. You wouldn't even have to hit the miscreant. He/she would probably have a coronary, first time you pulled the trigger.

This might affect you also. Before giving up on the Colt. Touch off one of the .22 mags, at night in a confined space. See how it affects you, vis a vis the 45 ACP.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pmr-30/pistol/

Which can shoot better. Not sure I'd want to bark off 30 rounds of 22 Mag without earplugs.

I'm not all that impressed with striker fired pistols. Auto-loading pistols seem to be more reliable with short fat rounds than long skinny ones.

I can shoot my 1911's for less than two cents a pop (lots of old supplies on hand) current prices perhaps a dime to reload.

added I have a buddy that runs cat and bear dogs. He has taken dozens of cougars and bears out of the tree with a S&W 22 Mag wheel gun. Grandpa Red shot 100's of deer and elk with a single shot Ithaca in 22 Mag for camp meat at the mine. Word was he never had to shoot any of them twice.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not understanding how the capacity vs. knockdown equation works.

A home invasion of more than 2 or 3 people seems to be fairly rare, and once you get blinded by the flash of the PMR-30, follow-up rounds may be a little difficult. Also with the high muzzle velocity and small diameter, over-penetration could be a problem.

I use a FNP-45 as my principle home defense weapon.

Hammer fired, De-cocker safety, DA/SA action and 15 rounds to boot.

The best, IMO, of all worlds if waking up to something unexpected.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pigfarmer05
    I recently purchased a PMR-30. I am impressed with it. I am thinking about replacing the 1911 colt with it for night time home defense. Given the capacity of the PMR vs the knock down of the 1911 its more a less a toss up. Any suggestions on personal preference. And no I dont want both in my nightstand. Way too many grandkids.

In my opinion, this isn't even a contest.

.45 ACP vs .22 magnum from handgun?

Answer, .45ACP (period). 45 ACP has proven itself over 100 years as a combat/defensive handgun round, and its the first choice of many top pro law enforcement and soldiers.

22 magnum is. . .good for hunting coyotes? Does *ANYONE* expecting to get into a fight pick a .22 handgun over a .45ACP?

IE, if you're going to get in a fight, who do you want on your team, a 230 lb 6'2" linebacker or three 40 lb kindergardeners?

Lets look at the numbers:

PMR-30: .22" diameter 40 grain bullet at 1350fps, for 200 ft-lbs of energy, x 30 rounds.

1911: .45", 230 grains, 850 fps x 8 rounds for 350 ft-lbs x 8 rounds.

Yes, you can tweak the numbers a little with different loads, but at first estimate each .45 ACP bullet not only carries 75% more kinetic energy, it also packs 3.5x the momentum, AND punches a hole 4x as large as the .22!

Do the math, and you'll find that an 8 shot 1911 magazine actually packs 50% MORE payload than your 30-shot PMR-30 in terms of bullet weight! Total cross sectional area of punched holes is also larger with 1911.

Bottom line, yes, you'll potentially get more shots out of your PMR-30 (ie assuming it doesn't jam) but each .45ACP round is probably going to be a LOT more effective. In my opinion .22 magnum handgun certainly has its uses, but replacing time-honored service/defensive type handguns and calibers wholesale isn't one of them!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an S&W revolver in 22mag with an 8 3/8 barrel I used to carry when I was in the woods. I actually had to use it once and it was the most painful noise I have ever encountered shooting. Even worse than shooting a hunting rifle without hearing protection.

I cannot imagine shooting a 22 magnum inside a closed room without hearing protection.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I'm not understanding how the capacity vs. knockdown equation works.

Simple ...Capacity puts more holes in the wall[:)]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Bottom line, yes, you'll potentially get more shots out of your PMR-30 (ie assuming it doesn't jam) but each .45ACP round is probably going to be a LOT more effective.Everything he said, but especially this. However, I'd reword it to say 'fail in some way'.

I see a number of Kel-Tec pistols on the firing line and have witnessed a high enough percentage of wide ranging issues occur within the required 50rd. qual course that I wouldn't stake my life or the life of family members on one.

They're very much a hit/miss proposition when it comes to reliability.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    PMR 30's, are quite reliable. I've been doing a round count on mine. Since buying it new, in the summer of 2013. Got 1800+ rounds of various .22 mag ammo through it, since then. Only 4 fail to feeds, in that time span. Although the slide won't lock back after the magazine is empty. Which frustrates me, no end.
    Congratulations on getting a mostly problem free Kel-Tec, but I stand by what I said.

Same as a lot of others, they're decent recreational guns. They're just not one I'd be willing to stake lives on if given a choice.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Bottom line, yes, you'll potentially get more shots out of your PMR-30 (ie assuming it doesn't jam) but each .45ACP round is probably going to be a LOT more effective.Everything he said, but especially this. However, I'd reword it to say 'fail in some way'.

I see a number of Kel-Tec pistols on the firing line and have witnessed a high enough percentage of wide ranging issues occur within the required 50rd. qual course that I wouldn't stake my life or the life of family members on one.

They're very much a hit/miss proposition when it comes to reliability.

PMR 30's, are quite reliable. I've been doing a round count on mine. Since buying it new, in the summer of 2013. Got 1800+ rounds of various .22 mag ammo through it, since then. Only 4 fail to feeds, in that time span. Although the slide won't lock back after the magazine is empty. Which frustrates me, no end.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1

...each .45ACP round is probably going to be a LOT more effective.

+1

Times were, when an SAA or a Schofield was plenty, for clearing a bedroom. Bedrooms, and azzhats, haven't changed much.

An individual being up against two perps pulling a home invasion, may be actually facing even odds - that is, the first perp will be looking at St. Peter before the second one even knows he's in a fight. [;)]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 with #8 trap loads.