In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping handguns???

bdsnooksbdsnooks Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I hope I posted this in the proper place---
I have several handguns that I want to sell.
I got a quote from FedEx for $85.13 overnight and a quote from UPS for even more!
I see auctions shipping handguns for anywhere from $15.00, $25.00 etc.
HOW do they do it?
Makes me not want do sell if shipping is so high! Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might have FFLs which would let them have a business account with FedUp or be able to use the mail as you cannot.
    They might be shipping something cheaper than Next Day Air.
    They might not be disclosing the contents and shipping ground.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk is right, some large dealers & distributors are able to negotiate better terms & rates than individuals. But, shipping on your own, you have only a choice between Gouger #1 & Gouger #2. Since most bidders won't agree to pay $85 shipping, some individuals will advertise $50 shipping & eat the balance.

Some individuals are able to find a local dealer willing to ship a handgun for a reasonable amount. However, in my area, all the dealers charge $50-60 for that service. Add in $15-20 USPS shipping, you might as well just send it yourself via UPS or FedEx Next Day Air.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another factor to consider. Is if the FFL dealer, you ship the gun to. Will accept a firearm from a non FFL. Shipping through a FFL, where you live. Makes it that much easier.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bdsnooks
    I hope I posted this in the proper place---
    I have several handguns that I want to sell.
    I got a quote from FedEx for $85.13 overnight and a quote from UPS for even more!
    I see auctions shipping handguns for anywhere from $15.00, $25.00 etc.
    HOW do they do it?
    Makes me not want do sell if shipping is so high! Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

First off, let me welcome you to our forum and also assure you that you have posted your question in the right place.

Our members have already given you excellent answers so there is no need for me to parrot them.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    we can us USPS as FFL's
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW, thanks for all the QUICK replies!
    I expected to wait days or even weeks---
    Your responses make a lot of sense, I will contact a dealer in my area and see about shipping.

Thanks to all!
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might take a look at the GunBroker list of FFLs who have indicated they will ship or receive firearms for GunBroker customers. There may be one in your area.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bdsnooks
    WOW, thanks for all the QUICK replies!
    I expected to wait days or even weeks---
    Your responses make a lot of sense, I will contact a dealer in my area and see about shipping.

Thanks to all!

If you decide to go the dealer route. Make sure to get a very specific, quote up front. I.E., what's the total going to cost to you. For his government paperwork, packaging, shipping and insurance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I just checked and it seems link is down, no dealers in Texas!!!!
    I KNOW that's wrong!

I'll try again later---
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The last one I sold was took to my local gun shop and shipped in USPS
    medium flat rate box for $25 insured.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Thanks, I just checked and it seems link is down, no dealers in Texas!!!!
    I KNOW that's wrong!

I'll try again later---

Hah! I am a Type 01 FFL in Texas and I ship and receive firearms for unlicensed persons all the time.