In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Peabody Martini

claysmasherclaysmasher Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Peabody Martini manufactured by Providence tool company around 1870. I have researched the gun an cannot find one that looks like it. The guns I have seen pictures of have external hammers. This gun has an internal unexposed hammer, and the forearm does not extend towards the muzzle of the barrel. If an expert can help out with some information about the rifle and value I would appreciate it. I know these were made for export and after payment issues they sold a few state side.

Pictures: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=484057131
More available upon request.

More PICS:http://postimg.org/gallery/2lkr4rsxa/

Here is a link to a picture of the Peabody Martini Carbine. It is on page 5.

https://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid=A355C957346A461C94E9C6F94A8558A6&ndx=2&albumid=7CDA2B52AEFB4AF9965A4B44D167D7EF&pictureid=D87137E3DC7748A7802F5F250FE97049

http://www.peashooter85.com/tagged/peabody-martini

Comments

• TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a post that really needs pics. look at the sticky post at the top of the page.
    Good luck
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Peabody rifle has an exposed hammer.
    A Peabody Martini rifle has the same hammerless action as a Martini Henry, etc., etc. That's what Herr Martini DID, he redesigned the tipping block Peabody action with an internal striker.

Peabody Martinis are not real common. Pictures will help.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a great story in one of the gun rags about a Peabody from Providence Tool Co. back when I was kid. The Army was testing the rifle, they got to 5 projectiles on top of a triple charge of powder before no one would shoot it anymore due to recoil.

+1 for love to see some good pic's.
    edited November -1
    Remington did that sort of trick with the rolling block, too.
    Strong actions... as black powder rifles go. But they don't go very far with smokeless. I saw one set of pictures of demolished rifles that showed that once a rolling block lets go, it is more dangerous than the famously weak trapdoor Springfield.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Frank de Hass's book "Single Shot Rifles and Actions". The Providence Tool Co. made hundreds of thousands of these rifles. Mostly on a military contract, for Turkey.

"Flyderman's Guide", the bible for the collector of U.S. made antique firearms. Estimates only a few thousand Peabody Martini sporting rifles were made. If your rifle is a factory original sporting/target rifle, likely it would be worth big bucks. Sportized military rifle, on the other hand not so much. Thats why we need quality close-up photos of your rifle.
    edited November -1
    It looks to me that it was a military carbine, that was sporterized. Not one of the original Peabody-Martini Sporting/Target rifles.
  • claysmasherclaysmasher Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It looks to me that it was a military carbine, that was sporterized. Not one of the original Peabody-Martini Sporting/Target rifles.

Thanks for the reply Sir. There aren't military markings or numbers at all on the rifle. Most of what I read the military guns were serialized and or marked for the foreign countries that purchased them IE.. Turks, Japanese etc.. The markings could have been removed but there is not trace or mark if they were.
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that your carbine is factory original. Either it's a cut down rifle. Or a carbine that's been altered. Bannerman and other surplus arms dealers, commonly did this. To make short handy hunting rifles.

Notice in the below pictures of M-H carbine the forward band has a swivel for a sling. The other swivel fits in the forward hole of the trigger guard. Yours has the hole in the trigger guard. But the front band and other associated parts were removed. When the stock was cut down.

502731d1366663101-martini-henry-mk11-artillery-carbine-m.h.-carbines-cavalry-artillery-mk.i.jpg
  • claysmasherclaysmasher Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for the reply. The two carbines you have posted have military markings on the action. The front and rear blades are positioned differently than my Peabody. My Great Uncles Carbine sights are positioned like the original carbine.
    edited November -1
    A .45-70 is not likely to have been a foreign military sale.

You may have a commercial carbine, there is a Sharps like that.