In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4D forging cone Reamer rentals

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi, anyone ever used a reamer from 4D rentals? They rent these to ream the forging cone on revolvers, Supposed to be easy to use. About $30 + 80 deposit. Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Ask for a copy of instructions before you rent the Item I suspect Theirs is the type you have to remove the barrel first[V] . I still think you either need to have a gunsmith like CYLINDER & SLIDE do the work or try to POLISH NOT TRY TO REAM DIY TO polish all you need is a pistol cleaning rod some cloth patches and J B bore cleaner.

BTW it is a FORCING CONE as in the word FORCE NOT forging as in the word forge
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about my spelling but I was just wondering if anyone had used the 4D Reamer. Some people on the Smith Wesson forum have used it. The Colt SAA revolver I have does not have any tamper at the front of the "forcing cone". Factory just missed that operation. From looking at 4D's video it looks real easy if a person knows anything about using tools. Barrel does not have to be removed either. Revolver leads real bad. Any more comments, Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I did watch the video's on utube before even asking my question.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have just been in contact with 4D about this tool for some cowboy action shooting friends. They had rented the cylinder throating reamer which was their first and foremost priority, since that was what they felt was causing the level of in-accuracy they had, and now felt they should also do the barrel's forcing cone. 4D's representative commented that the forcing cone reamer is actually the 11 degree tool sold by Brownell's; and from the looks of the illustration of the throating reamer they have on the web site I'd say it is also. Whether the forcing cone reamer is the kit that also comes with the lapping cone I don't know. The consensus of the older revolver guys on the forums is that a polished finish on the forcing cone as Perry Shooter says is the best defense against leading, which is understandable. If you don't know which angle your forcing cone was cut so that you could make a lapping button, one might as well cut the 11 deg. as a start so that you can get the lapping tool meant to complement it. Don't forget the forcing cone gauge that is needed so you won't go too deep yet go deep enough; another $45 from Brownell's; 4D say's they don't furnish any gauges with these tools. Then you might want to be concerned with the "compound angle" created when you cut an 11 deg. forcing cone on a 5 deg. forcing cone. Finally; don't worry about your spelling, someone will figure it out and let you know. It might even be one who uses "there" for "their" or "they're" or vice versa. Hope this is of help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great help, Thanks