In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage 99

wwiimanwwiiman Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can you tell me what year Savage starting putting a serial number on the 99 lever gun? I have one that does not have a serial and do not know what model of the 99 it is. I can give some details. Chamber 300 Savage, 24" barrel, mag indicator, and an indicator when gun is cocked and chambered. Aside from that, I don't know what other info to include. Thanks.

I appreciate all the info. I have looked all over the receiver and everywhere else I could not find a serial...still have not found one. The sights have been removed and a scope mounted on it. I did take the scope and mount off to see if serial would be there...but the only thing stamped on top was SAVAGE 99...nothing else. It does have the lever lock for safety. Forearm is checkered with an upside down triangle...and the grip has checkering as well. I guess the Mag indicator is a counter for number of rounds in the magazine... I really don't know where else to look for a serial. Thanks again to all.

Okay, I just got an email back from Small Arms Shop and told them the same thing I have posted here...they told me that in 1947 some guns did leave without serial numbers because the machine that stamped the numbers were broke at that time and they were shipped out without serial on them. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was at a Pawn shop today and saw an older Savage 99. I am wondering what Model it is and how much it should be worth to buy. It was chambered in 300 savage with a 24" bbl. It had a saftety located by the lever and the rotary magazine down inside. Sparse chekering on the Stock, but it was cut and not impressed. NO cracks in the stock. No checkering on the Forend. It had a plastic looking cap on the pistol grip and a steel buttplate. It was listed for $359.00 I looked and looked but could find no model number. Does anybody have any idea what this model was? Where would the model number be? I should have written down the serial number . I can go back.

Regards,

Taylor46
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Savage 99 on line and am trying to determine if it is C & R eligible. Best info I can get from the Savage collector website is "made after 1951". Serial # is 6583XX - anyone have info?
    I have a C & R FFL (and CA COE) so if it's C & R I can walk with it, if not I have to do the 10 day wait routine, even tough this is about my 125th gun the fools that run CA still make me wait on new guns.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    need info on a 99c in 308 in a cd configuration that was won at a coors shuetzenfest in golden co on may 1987 new unfired ingraved with the coors family crest and logo special serial number on bottom of reciever 1987-1 its the only # on the gun ,was made this way at the factory this i know for sure because friend of family won the gun at it was presented to him and passed on to me any info or value would be helpfull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [?] Came a cross model 99 h today barrel good blue@ receiver blue gone was brown.in 303 pre war1 wanted 395.00 not sure want to pay this much has seen much better days
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What Savage99 caliber barrels are interchangeable with receivers/rotary magazines? I have both takedown and rigid frame models. I understand the .300 can handle the.308. Any other barrels/calibers? Thanks, Dave[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    finally got my first model 99 in .308
    was wandering if a guy should go with a two piece scope mount or a single one,is the single one stronger being the way the 99 is made
    also heard they could be a little tricky to reload for any ideas or helpful hints would be appreciated.
    thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to find out what a savage 99 chambered in a 358 is worth. I have searched the ads and found various references to different models "g" "f" and such. have had the rifle since new. bought it in the late 50's or early sixties. cant remenber exactly serial number 921xxx no model number is listed on gun barrel is 24 lenght fron the reciever opening to end. it is all original nothing added or taken away has not been fired since 1966. is almost 100% a few slight marks on wood. metal and bore is almost 100%. can you help me deterime which model this is?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a savage 99 22hp with what appears to be a factory mannlicher stock with a Schnabel forearm tip. Has anyone seen another, could it be factory and how rare would it be. I have owned it for about 10 years and have often wondered. Thanks for your input guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up a savage model 99 today chambered for the 250-3000
    it is marked savage 99 with 250-3000 on the barrel made in Chicopee Falls Mass
    the serial number is 571XXX
    can someone tell me what year it was made
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage 99 in 300 sav. cal that I am thinking on selling in the near future. However after looking through a gun book it looks like there are are about 2 dozen different 99 models, and 6 or 7 them look similar to the one I have. I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me how to go about figuring out which one I have.

Thanks for any help,
    Josh.
    Rockymountain_mp@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When did savage change barrel thread from square to V type? Year? serial no? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can you tell what model a 99 is? Such as E or H etc.? Under the forearm and buttplate there are the letters LC. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HI I have a savage 99 f-model, that has the monte carlo stock and wide beaver forearm. ser# is 1954 make 243 cal. this rifle has the savage 99 in small letters on the rightside of the reciever and the letter U stamped below it. does anyone know what that stands for? any other rifle like this has had the M stamped on it which i understand is for the monte carlo stock!. any help on this would be great. thank stan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone out there know when Savage changed the rifling twist of their model 99 in .250 Savage to 1 in 10"-the Nosler manual just says earlier models had slower twist. Thanks if you can help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How rare is a Savage 99 in 38-55 with a half round half octagon barrel with a manufacture date of 1909, Straight stock, crescent buttplate and 26" barrel? Thanks Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone out there know any secrets on how to get the barrel unscrewed from a savage 99 featherweight?
    I have a good brownells barrel vice but im leary to use any more force.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a savage 99 that has been drilled and taped for a side mount. appears to be weaver hole spaceing, but I cann't find a one peace base listing for the 99. What side mount # would it be? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage 99 with the rotary magazine - mid 50's manufacture. The rifle works fine but the spring that powers the rotary spindle is a bit lazy. Looking at the schematics, it appears that removing the forearm and unscrewing an about 1" diameter plug (unscrews clockwise)allows the spindle to be pulled out.

I haven't unscrewed the plug, wondering if anything is going to go "boing" or require special tools to reassemble. Can anybody give me any pointers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can one tell what series 99 they have, I just picked up a 99 in 300 savage with a serial number in the 516xxx range
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just took in a 99 on trade sight unseen. Don't reccommend it. I have a rifle with a 19" barrel, aplace where someone glued the front sight on, and in filthy condition. The lever is so stiff you can twirl the rifle without it moving!!! I just need some info on it. I want to keep it because my dad has one, a 308, and my uncle has a 1899 22 highpower. Some day when I get rich I will get another good one but this will have to do for now. #942415 Can anyone give me some info on it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a Savage Model 99 in a 243 but it must be with the safety behind the trigger guard. I know that it must have a suffix number with the model 99 and I need some knowledgeable person to help me.

TNX
    Stumps13
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a Savage 99 and I do not knoe how to determine which letter series it is and its approximate value. I was hoping someone with knowledge of these rifles could help me out. The rifle has a 24 " barrel, Serial #440XXX, sharply checkered pistol grip with cap and checkered forearm with fine schnabel tip, shotgun style butt plate, Redfield adjustable apeture rear sight, loaded chamber indicator, lever mounted safety lock, a blank dovetail has been inserted on the barrel where a buckhorn style rear sight might have gone. It is not drilled or tapped for scope and has no sling swivels. condition of blued metal is easily 95% as is wood, case hardening on lever is 98%. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jerry Weinberg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am completely dissasembling a 99 savage for a blue job and was wondering if there is a secret when reassembling the carrier to get the spring wound back correctly for function and the counter on the left side to read correctly. Any info is appreciated. Terrill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a older savage 99in 300 sav with 22 inch barrel+ saftey on lever metal butplate and buckhorn sights ser #6785xx in great shape. anyone know model/age/worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a savage modele99 22hp sn #200xxx in very good condition, i need to now the value of this tanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    recently acquired a sav 99 in .300 cal ,the rotary counter is stainless or nickel? any i have seen the counters were brass the ser # is 640651 thanks

jimjim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I plan to rebarrel a Savage 99 to 358 Win. It should be an easy conversion and make a great brush gun. Does anyone have experience with this conversion? How about recommending a gunsmith. Is there an advantage to using a .308 or is any similar case body okay?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a rifle to buy. It is a Savage 300 which was bored out to a 308. There is a crack in the stock by the receiver. The serial number is 429978. How much is it worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK I'm looking for a Savage 99 guru of sorts! One who would consider themselves an expert on the Savage 99.
    I inspected a Savage 99 with a letter prefix(it might have been a C or A). The gun in question was involved in an "accidental shooting" and there are criminal Proceedings. It has been suggested this gun might have a "hair trigger".
    The defendant's lawyer has asked me to look into any possible design flaws or inherent problems in the trigger system.
    I am a gunsmith but Savage 99 I do not see much at all. Maybe I've seen two or three in the last 15 years come into my store. My shop is in Illinois and center fire rifles are only used to hunt Coyotes nothing else. The trigger pull is just above 4 lb and none of the engagement angels have been touched(in my opinion).
    Any ideas or suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did Savage make a model 99 in .284?
    I know they did in .358 but am unsure on the .284.
    thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Which caliber of the Savage 99 is the rarest?
    .284?
    .358?
    .250-3000?
    other?
    Your opinions are appreciated.
    thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received a Savage 99 in 300 from my father.
    Serial number 1089xxx. It is in excellent condition.
    Looking for date of manufacture and possible value.
    Just curious. I'll be passing this along to my kids.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been interested in these rifles for some time. I'm interested in using it for deer hunting in the mid-atlantic states with a occasional trip to canada for black bear. Any recommendations as to caliber and do the later guns come factory drilled and tapped?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just bought a 99 and noticed the forearm is not original. i removed it andseen tht the barrel is a takedown. the fore is for a solid frame. the barrel is very tight and i can't remove it by hand. is it possible that a takedown barrel could have been machined to fit a solid receiver? the gun dates to 1940 possibly making it a model G. any info is appreciated. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw a 99 in 219 zipper in a gunshop awhile back for between 400-500 dollars. The condition was poor, blueing faded or gone, wood dented etc. At a gun show last year I saw a 99A model in 250-3000 in perfect shape for 500.00 I would have bought it but it was the latest version that had a big safety on the top. Now I look at the auctions on this site and on that same gun they're asking 1000+ I understand the different versions, takedown, calibers, stock design and such but are the newest versions worth as much as the older ones? Should I have bought both of those rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    would someone give me an approx. date of manuf. and possible model s/n 7358xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a savage 99 in .308 cal. it has no model no.anywhere.Would like to know DOM serial no. is C400492. Any help on this would keep me from going crazy.Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just acquired a very early Savage 99. Solid Frame 26" round barrel, old style cocking indicator,The barrel in front of the chamber is stamped SAV..30, along the barrel with the address it's stamped 30 cal.
    The fellow I got it from said it is a 30-30.
    Is that how savage marked a 30-30 in 1900?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old savage 99 that the barrel is shot out it's in 300 savage now needs new barrel thinking about getting barrel 22-250 is this a doable project
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    571,000 was made shortly after 1950. It should have what is called, a "lever boss code". It's the part on the bottom of the receiver, that the lever is hinged to. Give us this code, for DOM.