In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 70 22 Hornet receiver

bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if the model 70 receivers used to make up the 22 Hornet were stamped with a "H"? There is one up for auction and the seller claims it is a 22 Hornet receiver because it has a H stamped on the recoil lug. I was under the impression there was no difference in the receivers used for the Hornets, so why would Winchester have marked it with a H.

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I don't remember anything about a "H" in the Rule book....
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    This has got me puzzled as well, I've never seen an H on a hornet action. There is no reason for it. I think this guy is feeding you a line.
    W.D.

note: There where 20,306 pre 64s chambered for the 22 Hornet.
    What is the serial number?
  • bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your right.
    Thanks
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe, but the giveaway is the small boltface too small for any other centerfire cartridge.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    V35, he is asking about the receiver, not the bolt...

Babun, was the 1990 version offered in 22 Hornet? I think hornets are in pre 64 only..
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if that "H" stands for the Herstal group, {FN} that owned Winchester in 1990 and 1991 ?????

Probably right about pre -64 in a Hornet only, But you never know.[;)]

The 22 hornet, aka 5.6x35mmR elsewhere is still a popular chambering
    in Europe.
  • bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 70 in 22 Hornet were only produced in the pre-64 era, so the H couldn't be a Herstal marking. Thanks all for your input, maybe someday the reason Winchester stamped the H will come up, but for now I am not going to assume it was to identify it as being specifically a 22 Hornet action.