In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone shot the new Savage 17 HMR autoloader?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I was looking on facebook at the Savage site and found comments about the new Savage 17 HMR autoloader. Not all positive. Blown rims and magazine falling out for two. Anyone here had direct positive or negative feedback to share?

Comments

• Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

Have you read & watched the Gunblast review?:

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-A17.htm

++++++++++++

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I know the small bore Firearms are near and dear to your Heart
    However at least I am one that view any of the rim fire cartridges with either more velocity or smaller Bore diameter than 22LR high velocity is asking for danger/Trouble in a RIM FIRE cartridge. The very nature of how a rim fire works pinching the rim to start the primer IMHO precludes The increasing the Chamber pressure or you increase the chance of BLOWN RIMS. then #2 if you get a fouled bore
    this becomes a better chance as the bore gets smaller. you again increase pressure # 3 a blowback design gives a more likely chance of failure of the case because it is more unsupported than in a locked breach firearm. even 22MAG as well as the 5MM REMINGTON have always had trouble with case heads etc. Sorry I normally stay away from bad mouthing things but you post asked for opinions and this is mine. EDITThanks 5MM I did not know that about it being delayed locked breach design. That sheds a different light on that unit . I still wish it was centerfire but I will have to watch this /your post to see feed back from a number of people.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good friend of mine got one a few weeks ago. He can't get it to shoot more than once without it dropping the mag. He has three different mags and all have the same issue. He's not been impressed as of yet.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN. The magazine dropping out is one of the issues common on the Savage facebook page. Your friend needs to call Savage because their replacements supposedly fix that problem.

Perry shooter. The Savage is not a straight blowback, it is a locked breech design that is a delayed blowback design.