In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sig P229 Caliber swap

GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a sig P229 and I recently bought a parts kit from a P228 that had all the parts but no frame or magazine. I tried to slip on the complete P228 slide and it wouldn't go on. It looks the the barrel comes down lower on the P228 which won't let it slip right on.

If I change out the frame parts, like the block assembly that is held in by the takedown latch and swap it with the one from the P228, will it work to use my 229 frame to shoot 9mm's?

I'm sure one of you folks have done this before so I was tring to save myself some time if it won't work.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I would call SIG to make sure but I think the simple answer is no.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 229 was made with a slide machined from a solid stainless block for the strength needed to be durable with the .357 and the .40. I've been using mine since '96 and still going strong. The 228 used a folded steel stamping for the slide with the breech-block pinned in and the front piece welded in place. The relative dimensions may differ as the case diameter of the .357/.40 is greater than that of the 9mm so the barrel may ride a bit higher. I think 5mm is probably right about the answer from SIG. If you had a 9mm slide and parts group from the 9mm version of the 229 you would be able to swap them right across.