In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope on Savage 7a

rlamk4rlamk4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
What scope base fits the Savage 7a.There are two threaded holes behind the bolt.Looking down the barrel they are off set left.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck finding one. Post in the wanted forum.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx maybe side mount (48402) but doubtful. A one piece side mount was the old style.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Rifles-40502/7-39822.htm

I'll look in an old gun digest catalog and see if I can find any listings.

added 1970 Shooter's Bible Side Weaver mount base #2 fits a model 6,7; the cheaper stamped metal "N" mount for low is "N2" high is "N3". N mounts are for 3/4" tubes.

added Good call richarda, that's the one I was thinking good luck in finding. Reaming holes for screw shank and heads is easy in aluminum, just majic marker the raw al black to match.
  • Options
    322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a creampuff Savage pre-war model 6. This is the one with the tube under the barrel and has the factory drilled holes on the left to mount a scope. My local gun shop had just what I needed to do so. Here are some photos of my rifle wth scope:
    savage6thirtythree.jpg
    savage6thirty.jpg
    savage6twentyseven.jpg
  • Options
    rlamk4rlamk4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.that is it. Thank you both for your help,
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Weaver Side Mount#2 base requires 4 6-48 holes to be drilled in the left side of the receiver; it DOES NOT use the two factory-drilled holes. They are for the Mossberg side mount, which is long obsolete. Havlin Sales offers a mount base that does fit these holes, which takes Weaver-type top mount rings. It is also possible to use the Weaver #8 (or 8A) Side Mount base, if you drill out two of the screw holes to take the 10-32 screws to fit the factory holes - this will then take the Weaver Side Mount Rings.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the old N2 or N3 should work just fine so long as all you need is a 3/4 " scope, if you need help finding one of these let me know I may have a couple.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo of the Weaver side mount base wrapper showing that Weaver claims the base fits the Savage group of rifles including the Model 6 & 7.
    I respect Richarda's reply and information. However this is my experience. I walked into my local gun store with my Savage Model 6 and purchased the scope, Weaver base and rings based on the resident gunsmiths recommendation. I always wanted a Leupold scope and so I treated myself on this trip. While I waited (about 20 minutes), he took the rifle, scope, base and rings to the back room and assembled the unit for me while I browsed. I specifically requested no drilling or tapping of new holes! He told me that he had trouble finding the right screws but he did find them in his work area. In 20 minutes, he had it mounted for me. He didn't charge me for assembly since he said he didn't have to drill.I asked for the original filler screws back in case I removed the scope and he obliged.
    MVC-020S_zpsxjwb7yed.jpg