In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Serial #

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I find it interesting we all go to the book for facts about guns and production and originality ect. and base our opinion about what we read. Just bought a bunch of guns including a 1903 22 win auto. I try to put the year of manufacture on the tag so I went to the book. Accordingly the last gun produced with the highest serial number was 114962 in 1936 after assembling parts guns. The serial number on this gun is 1164XX, 1500 over their highest listing.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what book you are referring to, but if it is the Blue Book, shame on you, as I have repeatedly stated on this forum (and several other forums), that it is not a credible source of information in regards to Winchester dates of manufacture, or their values.

If you are using any of the books written and published by George Madis, again, I have repeatedly stated that his DOMs are not accurate either.

Per the actual Winchester factory records (in possession of the Cody Firearms Museum research office), serial number 126211 was the final Model 1903 (03) serial number, and it was manufactured on September 8th, 1932. Serial number 114962 was not manufactured in the year 1936, instead, it was manufactured on May 4th, 1926. Serial number 1164xx was manufactured in April or May of 1927.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THlS MODEL WAS DISCONTINUED IN 1932, HOWEVER, A CLEAN UP OF PARTS WAS
    USED FOR FURTHER PRODUCTION OF APPROXIMATELY 2000 GUNS. TOTAL PRODUCTION WAS STOPPED AT SERIAL NUMBER 114962 IN 1936.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't know where this site gets it's information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The website you are referring to is owned by the Browning Arms Company, which is a subsidiary of FN Herstal. Browning leased the rights to used the trademarked Winchester name from the Olin Corporation, and currently manufactures several Winchester Models in Japan (Miroku), and the Model 70 in Columbia, SC. They do not have any of the original Winchester Repeating Arms Company records, nor do they have access to them. The information they have in that .pdf document was primarily derived from the information that George Madis first published back in 1961... and as I have previously stated, his Winchester DOM information is grossly inaccurate.

If you read the all of the disclaimers on page 1 of the website you are using, they do not claim that the information is accurate.

The so called parts clean-up consisted of serial numbered receiver frames that were produced through September of 1932 only. Again, production ended with serial number 126211 on 9/8/1932, and serial number 114962 was manufactured on 5/4/1926.

I will strongly advise that you discontinue your use of the information contained on the website you mention. If you want accurate information, use this website - http://winchestercollector.org/dates/ All of the DOM information was derived directly from the original Winchester factory records in possession of the Cody Firearms Museum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    Don't know where this site gets it's information.

From the books that George Madis published.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    THlS MODEL WAS DISCONTINUED IN 1932, HOWEVER, A CLEAN UP OF PARTS WAS
    USED FOR FURTHER PRODUCTION OF APPROXIMATELY 2000 GUNS. TOTAL PRODUCTION WAS STOPPED AT SERIAL NUMBER 114962 IN 1936.

Totally bogus information[V]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Bert- I went to the site. It lists several Win models, but absent is Model 21. Is there a reason the 21 is not included in the on-line data?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Bert- I went to the site. It lists several Win models, but absent is Model 21. Is there a reason the 21 is not included in the on-line data?

Yes, there is a reason. What you need to understand about the Model 21, is that it was never a "standard" production gun. Every single one of them was carefully built and assembled by the Custom Shop, and in no particular order. It is frankly impossible to create a DOM table for the Model 21.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link just put it in my favorites. This shows the date of 1927.