In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Testing (2) Different AR15s in 6.8mmSPC PT II

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Reading through this a second time it caught my attention (without us all having read the article) that quite possibly the author of the article is talking about a conversion, build or upper exchange?

"Minimal differences in chamber specs" could be a generality that it is very easy to convert an AR-15 rifle from .223/5.56 NATO to 6.8 SPC/SPCII. But, as mentioned in the first thread, only use the ammunition for the barrel you have.

When I first started seeing a lot of differently chambered AR's out and about, I noticed they didn't always have easily notable chamberings. People see an AR, the first thing they think is .223/5.56. Mostly because lowers still often say .223/5.56 and mean nothing to what the rifle is really chambered for. A bad case here would be 5.56 NATO going into the 6.8 SPC chamber and firing (I don't think it will quite fit). Not so much the other way around because it won't fit. (6.8 into 5.56)

Fortunately now, I'm seeing barrels marked clearly what the chambering is in a place where you can see that.