In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picatinny Base on a Remington 700 SA LH

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Would a picatinny base on a Remington 700 SA make a difference as to being a left or right handed action. I'm mounting a Leatherwood M1000 scope to a Remington 700 SPS Varmint special in 308. To mount this scope so as to use all its advantages requires using a picatinny base. Since these are used mostly on AR's they utilize a picatinny rail system. I need to know if they are action specific. I have never seen them specifically for left or right handed actions and there are no mentions of that in any of the parts books. All the pictures I have seen in the parts books look to be in a centered position. Any help is always appreciated,thanks in advance.

YIPPY, Just received an email from Evolution Gun Works that my base has shipped. It was the standard non adjustable base but it doesn't matter. Thanks again Dick for your help in this matter.[:)][:)][:)]

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Mine has a champhered area for ejection to the right.
    You probably need one to the left. Like this,

http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-remington-700-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-left-hand-short-action.html
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dick that is what I was wondering. I was on an online chat with a fellow from Brownells. He stated that he could not find any listing for a LH action. He suggested that I should call their special order number.
    None of the base photos on their website showed that camera angle. Thanks again.[;)]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    armilite,

As dcs shooters points out, most if not all Picatinny rails have a chamfer or ejection relief cut on the ejection side of the rail. We have a few that come in as supplied by customers without the chamfer which we modify to make them compatible with the ejection port position and length. And yes, the rails are action specific unless you order a rail as a blank which requires drilling (screw size and position) and machining of the chamfer. You can also get added MOA angles if this is going to be used at long range.

To get around some of this you can order Burris two-piece bases with the understanding that your choices of ring and scope position will be limited.

Best.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    armilite,

As dcs shooters points out, most if not all Picatinny rails have a chamfer or ejection relief cut on the ejection side of the rail. We have a few that come in as supplied by customers without the chamfer which we modify to make them compatible with the ejection port position and length. And yes, the rails are action specific unless you order a rail as a blank which requires drilling (screw size and position) and machining of the chamfer. You can also get added MOA angles if this is going to be used at long range.

To get around some of this you can order Burris two-piece bases with the understanding that your choices of ring and scope position will be limited.

Best.

I looked into the Burris ring system but if I used that type of system
    I'd have to remove the scope from the M1000's integral base and then I'd loose half the benefits of that particular system. Like I mentioned above I never had seen photos of the bottoms of the picatinny bases. From all the pictures that I have seen they appear to be action neutral. The base that Dick provided gave me the information I needed to know. I looked at a bunch of websites like Brownells and Midway. I could not find a single picatinny base regardless of which rifle brand that stated a left or even a right handed specific model.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Mine has a champhered area for ejection to the right.
    You probably need one to the left. Like this,

http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-remington-700-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-left-hand-short-action.html

Hi Dick, Went to order this on their web page and it is all messed up. When I tried to order it, it kept sending me the LA base. Called them and explained the problem and they told me that all they have is a LA version. So I went right to EGW's website and they are out of the SA adjustable base but they had the non adjustable base. So I ordered the non adjustable base and when I went through the checkout it also said they were out of stock but took my money anyway. Now I'll have to wait until I get some email confirmation or wait and call them Tuesday.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't referring to the Burris ring system at all. I mentioned the Two-Piece base simply because it doesn't need the relief cut made as compared to a full base which need the relief cut made on the correct side of the base for ejection.

I agree that the proper base was mentioned above but it unfortunately is unavailable...

Best.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i think you could take the RH one piece base to a gunsmith who has a small milling machine and modife it. on my range and heavy use rifles i went to the dual dove tail system for mounting a scope, if you don,t need the extra moa a one piece base can give you, the dual dove tail system is rock solid. eastbank.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    eastbank has your solution.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be real surprised if Euro Optic does not carry what you are looking for.

Eurooptic.com.

Best
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

YIPPY, Just received an email from Evolution Gun Works that my base has shipped. It was the standard non adjustable base but it doesn't matter. Thanks again Dick for your help in this matter.[:)][:)][:)]

Good, EGW doesn't take long to turn out parts.
    A few years ago I tried to get one for a 1022. No stock, so I ordered a blank one. Had to cut it to length, drill holes, cut the receiver radius for it. It came out good.