In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mailing Serial Numbered Slides

spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
A friend asked me to sell some auto pistol parts on ebay. The parts were mostly slides and barrels. A few of the slides (e.g., Browning HiPower slides) were serial numbered. I returned these to my friend because I believed they were considered a firearm by the ATF. I also didn't want any trouble caused to my friend or myself. Waa I correct in considering the serial numbered frames as defined as firearms by the ATF?

Also, I have seen were Ruger MK I and II slides won on GB would only be sent to an FFL.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Only the frame is considered to be a firearm by the BATF, the slides and barrels, serialized are not, are simply parts and are unrestricted.

What ebay considers to be a firearm is another matter.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your post is not clear? Slides even if serial numbered, are not considered firearms by the feds. They are just gun parts, and can be shipped through the mail without legal problems.

The Ruger .22 auto pistols are quite unique as far as serial numbering is concerned. Since their first production in 1949. They have always have been serial numbered on the barrel extension. Not on the frame/receiver like 99% of other firearms. Because of this the firearm as far as the feds are concerned, is the barrel extension. Not the receiver.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why are you not selling them here? E-bay and paypal with gun stuff can be iffy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You for all the additional information on serial numbered slides being considered only a firearm part but not defined as a firearm by the ATF.

Here's additional notes:

1. I believe it was only one Browning HiPower Slide, which had a serial number on it, that I returned to my friend.
    2. My friend is a gunsmith and he had accumulated lots of rifle and pistol parts and needed them to be sold.
    3. I sold a couple dozen pistol slides and/or barrels on ebay to USA customers only. There was no problem dealing with ebay and PayPal; and at the time PayPal was the only payment method.
    4. My first pistol was a Ruger Mk I Target Pistol and it is a strange one with no serial number on either the barrel or barrel extension but it does have a small serial number on the stamped blued steel grip frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    Thank You for all the additional information on serial numbered slides being considered only a firearm part but not defined as a firearm by the ATF.

Here's additional notes:

1. I believe it was only one Browning HiPower Slide, which had a serial number on it, that I returned to my friend.
    2. My friend is a gunsmith and he had accumulated lots of rifle and pistol parts and needed them to be sold.
    3. I sold a couple dozen pistol slides and/or barrels on ebay to USA customers only. There was no problem dealing with ebay and PayPal; and at the time PayPal was the only payment method.
    4. My first pistol was a Ruger Mk I Target Pistol and it is a strange one with no serial number on either the barrel or barrel extension but it does have a small serial number on the stamped blued steel grip frame.

I have never seen or heard of a Ruger serial numbered in this manner? Is it possible for you, to post photos of it?

There were some little known and strange Rugers made over the years. Saw some photos awhile back, of Standard Models assembled in Mexico. Do to their nonsensical firearms laws.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can mail all the serial numbered slides you wish to. They are not considered a gun by any other party's except E-Bay, and Pay-Pal, that I know of.t he frame, itself, is considered the gun.

On the other hand, Ruger MK I, II, and III, and AMT Lightening 22 pistols, the barrel and extension are considered the gun, as has been said by earlier poster's.

EDIT 1
    quote:I suggest you read this ENTIRE thread:
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=653151

??? according to some of the stuff in that thread, a serial numbered bolt from a pre-64' Model 70 could be considered "the gun"?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest you read this ENTIRE thread:
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=653151

THE ENTIRE THREAD>
    ""From the link I posted...

"The Gun Control Act (GCA) at 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and its implementing regulation, 27 CFR 478.11, define the term firearm,in part, to mean: any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,_ and includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon. The term firearm frame or receiver_ is defined by section 478.11 as [t]hat part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward position to receive the barrel._ Under 18 U.S.C. 923(i) and 27 CFR 478.92, licensed manufacturers and licensed importers must identify, by means of a serial number engraved or cast on the receiver or frame of the weapon, in such manner as the Attorney General shall by regulations prescribe, each firearm imported or manufactured "".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ruf-Snow

No pictures.

Had to go look at that pistol to see what else is different about it.
    It does have a six digit in small number font serial number on the right side just above the trigger guard on the grip frame. There are no manufacturer markings on the pistol (i.e., barrel extension, barrel, etc.) besides the black Ruger phoenix emblems on the black plastic grips. The barrel extension has a smaller oval ejection port than any other Ruger Mk I pistol which makes for a stiffer and heavier barrel extension. It is configured with a rear micro sight and front sight just like a Ruger Mk I target pistol and takes only the older Mk I magazines. I believe it is a custom made 22LR target pistol using the Ruger Mk I target pistol's stamped steel grip assembly and parts. It is very accurate and I have shot it from a sand bag using a B&L 2X pistol and consistently got 1 inch groups at 50 yds using CCI MiniMags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    Ruf-Snow

No pictures.

Had to go look at that pistol to see what else is different about it.
    It does have a six digit in small number font serial number on the right side just above the trigger guard on the grip frame. There are no manufacturer markings on the pistol (i.e., barrel extension, barrel, etc.) besides the black Ruger phoenix emblems on the black plastic grips. The barrel extension has a smaller oval ejection port than any other Ruger Mk I pistol which makes for a stiffer and heavier barrel extension. It is configured with a rear micro sight and front sight just like a Ruger Mk I target pistol and takes only the older Mk I magazines. I believe it is a custom made 22LR target pistol using the Ruger Mk I target pistol's stamped steel grip assembly and parts. It is very accurate and I have shot it from a sand bag using a B&L 2X pistol and consistently got 1 inch groups at 50 yds using CCI MiniMags.

Thank-you! Interesting, seems someone put a lot time, effort and probably money. To improve on a Mark I.