In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WTK ABOUT A RUGER AC 5.56

fmlfml Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
ARE THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE RUGER AC 5.56 OR DO THEY RUN FINE ? THANKS

Comments

• Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one I ever shot wouldn't make it through a mag w/o jamming. It was one of the first one's out. Folding stock carbine. If I recall correctly there was a problem with the mags. Chief bought some more and said that it functioned great then.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely reliable. Great little carbine that will shoot MOA if the shooter knows what he is doing.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old Fool
    Absolutely reliable. Great little carbine that will shoot MOA if the shooter knows what he is doing.

I don't know how much difference there is between the AC 5.56 and the plain vanilla Mini 14's, i.e. if the accuracy has been enhanced?

I owned two of the Mini's in the past. As far as I'm concerned, them shooting "MOA", is a figment of somebodys over active imagination.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But, Ruger won't sell repair parts; any problems, the entire rifle must be returned to Ruger.

Neal
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fml,

I agree with rufe-snow and his assessment of this rifle (carbine). There are exceptions to virtually everything and the Mini-14 is no different. However, the great majority of these rifles can't and won't hold MOA even with top quality ammunition no matter what some authors state (http://gunblast.com/Ruger-NEWMini14.htm). Ruger is currently trying to market another 'improved' version of the Mini-14 and as of yet, I don't have any feedback except for this one article which is typical of writers that are supported by the industry. The 'improvements' don't seem to be much in my opinion.

This is a link to a PDF which thoroughly covers the AC-556 and as with most magazines that accept advertising, can be fallacious.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/AC556.pdf

There is more information on the AC but you need to do some searching.

Best.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Own one a AC556K to be exact.

Great for the $!!

Ruger will not sell parts, so make sure its a factory gun.

Had Ruger rebuild mine, replaced barrel, bolt, bolt carrier and the all springs.
    They charged me $275 and took about 4 weeks for them to turn it around.

A AC556 is a machinegun!, dont expect sub zero MOA! DUHHHH...

At best its more like 2moa-3moa with MilSurp ammo.

But with premium ammo on semi "you might" get 1moa shots.

The prices on the AC556 have just about doubled in the past 2 years, and they wont go down either.

As far as mags, mine likes Manson, BlackWarriors, PMI,s & OEM's.
    It will not run on Eagles or USA mags.

Downsides:
    The barrel is thin, it wont take multi mag dumps without overheating.
    Shoot a mag then reload the mag let it cool down, while you reload the mag & you will be OK.

The selector switch fork inside the reciver is tricky to put back together, but really no problem once you did it once.

Its not a M16!, not very many accessories for it.

For a couple thosand more you could get a FNC, for $4,000 more you could get a registered receiver M16, for $10,000 more you can get a MP5.

Its all relative to the $.

Oh Yeah - JAC 22 conversion kits are hit & miss. And require tinkering to get the thing to run correct.
    Dont even try to order direct, Jonathon Ceiner wont answer the phone.

If you buy a "registered non-Ruger converted gun", Ruger wont touch it.

AC556 parts kits are "semi rare", bringing a good $500 plus without the folding stock. I have only seen 3 parts kits in the past 5years.

A "GB" or "Mini14" folding stock will not fit the "AC556", and Ruger is out of folding stocks.
    But with lots of milling you can get a GB stock to work.
    Also note the stock liner for the trigger group is also differant than the "GB" and "Mini14"

There is a "limited supply" of replacement recievers that Ruger has registered prior to 1986 for replacement of warranty cracked recievers. That supply may have now dried up.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IAMACLONE_2,

"A AC556 is a machinegun!, dont expect sub zero MOA! DUHHHH..."

We don't expect MOA or sub-MOA from a "machinegun" but neither did we make those comments about the AC-556. Those MOA comments were directed at the Mini-14.

The .pdf link I supplied has a lengthy review of the AC-556 as I stated and I didn't feel that it was necessary to repeat what they had already written.

Best.
  • Options
    fmlfml Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the comments. I am looking for a AC 5.56 in Louisiana.quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    IAMACLONE_2,

"A AC556 is a machinegun!, dont expect sub zero MOA! DUHHHH..."

We don't expect MOA or sub-MOA from a "machinegun" but neither did we make those comments about the AC-556. Those MOA comments were directed at the Mini-14.

The .pdf link I supplied has a lengthy review of the AC-556 as I stated and I didn't feel that it was necessary to repeat what they had already written.

Best.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the only MG that I can afford. It will empty a factory 20 rd with no problems. Aftermarket is a crap shoot. As _2 said, accuracy for one shot is what you can expect from a mini-14. Not in the AR class. So what? That's not where the fun is! Mine are the best investment I've made in the last 5 years. When the demo's take control (OK, call me a pessimist) I'm into some serious money unless the guys in black come and confinscate everything!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    z3beemerz3beemer Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned one of these for a long time. Today my extractor broke. Does anyone know if a standard Mini 14 extractor will work in the AC5.56