In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5.45x39mm

redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 700 chambered in 223, barrel is shot out needs replaced, thinking about replacing it with one in 5.45x39mm does anyone make a barrel for this?
The only reason why I am sitting on 10k rounds of 5.45x39

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will the larger rim size {.394"] fit your bolt face and extractor?
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    PacNor barrels does.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's only .017 difference in rim diameter between the 5.56 X 45 & the 5.45 X 39. If your going to have a competent gunsmith fit a replacement barrel. Don't see him having any problem, opening up the bolt face for that .017.

The thing to consider though, is that between the hourly rate of a competent gunsmith, and the cost of a new barrel in 5.45 X 39. It's going to cost you a bundle. Just to shoot up, mediocre quality military hardball ammo.

I would reconsider, and sell the ammo on the auction. Rather than going to all the trouble and expense. Of buying a new barrel in 5.45 X 39, and having a gunsmith fit it.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pac Nor will make a 5.45 barrel. (.220" groove diameter, 7.7 or 10 twist).
    I found mention of a Lothar Walther 5.45 but do not see it on their www.

From what I found, you will have to have the bolt face opened up, the extractor adjusted or replaced, and possibly even have the firing pin protrusion increased.

Looks like a one way trip for that Remington. But you have enough ammo to wear out two or three barrels on it.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since the bolt would require work to get it to work, I'd suggest getting a new bolt and having the new barrel fitted to it.
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that might be of consideration, if you live in a State that is not communistic, is to get an AK-74 clone to blast them in. Sounds like a good excuse to me for another rifle.

Best
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless your 10K of ammo is above average accurate, this sounds like false economy to me. The surplus ammo is worth a fair amount right now. By the time you add the cost of barrel, fitting, and bolt work, you're going to exceed the savings you might expect. If you sell your 5.45 ammo , you'll have the funds to rebarrel your .223 and buy several thousand rounds of .223.