In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

remington 550-1

jlsinkjlsink Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Any 550 owners out there? I have a chance to pick one up for $100.
Perfect bore, missing magazine tube, but otherwise about 85% wood and metal. Any major pittfalls with this design? Functioning? Breakdowns, etc. It looks like a nice winter clean up project.
Any comment appreciated.
Rob

Comments

• jlsinkjlsink Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to mount a scope on this old rifle. It has no dovetails. What type of scope and base should I use. I can drill and tap it myself. Thanks.[8D]
    edited November -1
    I just aquired a 550-1 from my son-in-law. Needless to say it is not in good shape. I plan on re-blueing and finishing the stock. I would like some help if anyone has complete details on disassembly and reassembly of this rifle. Thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    I was just given this .22. It belonged to my late father. The date code indicates it was made in 1950. Anyway, I disassembled it for cleaning (I'm sure its never been apart) to clean it up.

The floating chamber looks to have a gray grease around it, but maybe it's just old gunk. Is there a certain grease to use on this chamber? I was just going to CLP everything.

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    No serial number but markings on left of barrell are xb3 then under that are cb9 any info on this thanks jeff
    edited November -1
    No serial number but markings on left of barrell are xb3 then under that are cb9 any info on this thanks jeff
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any helpful hints for Remington 550-1 reassembly?
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what the significance of the 9 or 3 are but the C would be April, the X December and the second position letter, in both cases b, would indicate 1955. This is consistent with the years of production for the 550-1
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the 3 is a Remington factory repair marking, and maybe the 9 also. Maybe the Remington Society of America can help?