In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sniper scope

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Were Lyman Alaskan scopes ever used as Sniper scopes during either WW1 or WW2? Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think some were used. cut and pasted "Generally the Weaver 330c was used (known in the military as the M73B1). However, alternates like the Lyman Alaskan (M73), M81 (military Alaskan modified with sliding scope shade and crosshair reticle) and M82 (military Alaskan w/sliding scope shade and post/crosshair reticle) were alternate substitutes after adoption of the M1C in late 1944 when the M73B1 was not available. In late 1945, the M84 scope was also an authorized substitute scope for the 03A4."
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes WWII. There is a book about sniper equipment written in the early 80's I believe by a guy named Senick (check spelling) Covers from about. WWI to 1980. Great for reference or if you want to shoot the classic sniper class.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they were.

Peter Senich is the guy I think you're referring to, SP45.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman Alaskan was adopted for the M1903A4 as the M73, but not procured. As stated above, versions (M81 & M82) of it with an added sliding sun shade at the front were acquired for the M1C & M1D, but issued very late in WWII.