In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

l1a1 tough extraction

aknollaknoll Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased an l1a1 .308. I have an extraction problem. the gun will not operate in semi auto mode since the shell is hard to extract. I have found a bulge in the brass casing at the bottom end. this occurs with old army surplus ammo as well as with new remington ammo. Is this a problem with the barrel that I can fix or should I contact tapco and buy another barrel assembly. Please help.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    1st thing to do is check your headspace. Odds are this rifle was put together by Century who has a questionable reputation when it come to quality Control. Is the gas plug set for grenade firing (G) or semi auto (a). What do you have the gas port set at? Turn the nut that is just behind the front sight forward (making the gas escape port smaller) until the rifle runs. If this doesn't help ask your questio over at Falfiles.com lots of experts on these rifles over there.

rich

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    aknollaknoll Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What can cause the brass to swell at the bottom, other then shells that have been reloaded too many times. I have to pull extremely hard on the charging handle to remove the shell after being fired. I have tried many times with the gas port at every setting and no change.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Does the gas piston move freely in the tube? some kits had the end of the tube crushed by some angry beaver at century who didn't remove the little retaining pin on the side which keeps gas tube from turning. Make certain the knob in front of the front sight is oriented to (A) being up. It is a very tough pull to get a fired case out of the chamber in any Fal without the use of the gas system.
    swollen brass heads are usually a sign of too much pressure or improper headspace.

rich

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.