In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzel Break

new guynew guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am cutting threads on a mosin 7.62x54r for a break 5/8x24 but do not have the break in hand anybody know deep to cut the thread?

Comments

• new guynew guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I recently bought a used ruger 77/vt in .243 with a screw on adjustable muzzel break. I used several loads with out the muzzel screwed on and it sort of liked a 60 gr infront of 41.5 gr varget. when I used the same load with the muzzel break screwed on, accuary went out of wack. I tried adjsuting it but did not notice any difference in accuary. I heard that a break can acctually increase accuracy, was that a myth or am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks
  • Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Break is aligned correctly; it should not hinder accuracy. I do know for a fact: The Boss Systems work as advertised.

The JP Muzzle Break, is precision aligned: By installing the Break with the hole undersized - then honing the exit hole precisely to the bore. Recoil is dramaticlly reduced and accuracy is usually better, but never worse. I would have my Muzzle Break checked for Perfect alignment, the exit hole should be .010 -.020 larger than the projectile. Give JP a shout, he can be contacted online by e-mail. Look under "Muzzle Breaks". [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    one problem that I had with my break is that the round was hitting it... you can tell if it is by paying attention to the break... if there is lead or copper on the bread then it is hitting... if this is the case you need to ream out the opening on the end of it a little.... had that problem with my savage 110 30.06
  • king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also possible for the BRAKE to alter the vibration characteristics of the bbl. The brake, in theory could either improve or hurt accuracy with specific loads. The comments on brake diameter and concentricity are certainly valid, but bbl vibration is another variable.
    Morty
    Have fun, be careful!
  • new guynew guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks you all for your response,guess its one more variable to control. I don't have any information on what type of break I have, but one suggested to just find the best load for the rifle with out the break and to try to tune the break to get as close as possible to the performance with out it... That means many more trips to the range.[:)]
  • Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Break is off line with the bore, a centering ream should be used to true it, the excaping gas needs to be equal all the way around. And really should be held at no more than .020 larger than projectile dia.

Ronnie G. Perkins