In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Antelope caliber

PemsPems Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Going to purchase a gun to be used for antelope. Need some recommendations for caliber size. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    257 Roberts. If, near a responsible gunsmith, have him "Improve", it. Will take an antelope as far out as you can see it. GW.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .243 will work fine. You are looking for something that will reach out with a flat trajectory. Pronghorn are small so you do not need a .300 magnum for this job. .243, .257, .270 all are fine for the job. .223 will do it if legal in the state you are hunting.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    257izmycal257izmycal Member Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GW, I definately agree. I also would recommend the 25-06 or 257 Weatherby. Don't forget to use a good bullet. 257 all the way!!!!

You're a statistic whether you want to be or not.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Not being real familier with all of em,I'd say 270,kinda partial to the cartridge I guess.....
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 25/06, 257, 6.5x55, 260, or 270/280 will work great, and work for deer also. Use a good bullet for deer size game, not varment bullet, I've had best luck with 120 gr .25 bullets for antelope.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    hecklerxkochhecklerxkoch Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not make it easy on yourself and use a 270 or 22-250. I've shot a lot of deer and antelope with these calibers and they are just fine, plus you pay less for ammo.

New gun??? No, honey, I've had it for years.
  • Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    264 win mag loaded with 120 gr nosler balistic tips should drop any antelope in its tracks
  • Options
    Myra-LouMyra-Lou Member Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...........25-06............

....If you have to shoot...SHOOT!...don't talk!
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I think all of the above are good advice, just vary with personal favorites (I like .243). I think the bigger consideration, given any of the above calibers, would be the rifle and scope combination and how you zero it with the caliber you choose. Evidently you've decided on that. Have a great safe hunt. Getting ready is half the fun.

Duty Honor Country
  • Options
    Canadian SniperCanadian Sniper Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm worked alright for me last year

[8]

Need me some shells for my 8 ga

any one got a scope and mounts for a FN FAL
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BEAN FIELD RIFLE = 25-06 no prejudice just fact!

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will say a 6mm just to be different. If you want to use the gun to also shoot coyotes I would say a 243. If you want to use it to also shoot deer for I would go a 25-06. The 6mm is right in between and would work good for antelope, coyote and deer. Personally I would say a 338 Ultra mag in a heavy grain bullet would work perfect so you would have less antegoat to eat. Good luck.

Mad Dog