In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best way to get oil staining out of gunstock

bigbore613bigbore613 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a nice set of Win. model 12 wood that I am refinishing.It has some dark oil staining where the stock meets the reciever and a small chip missing that I will have to fill.I want to make sure the filler will adhere well and the oil stains to go away.What is the best method?

Thanks,Jeff jjp1212@msn.com

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I don't envy your task. Bleach will remove about any stain, but unless you want to refinish the entire set this might not be the way to go.
    Boiling water and soap might get enough out to work with. You will have to scrub this a bit. Good luck.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is still around "ZIPSTRIP" will strip everything to bare wood (and stains) in nothing flat! espcially old varnish/stain.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything!"

"My Wife is a Hair Stylist"
  • DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old fashioned whiting (calcium carbonate if I remember correctly, available from Brownells) is the time honored, though slow, method for getting oil out of wood stocks. I haven't had screaming success with it since I usually try to degrease heavily cosmolined milsurp stocks, but it does have some effect. Don't get it or the solvent on the blueing.
  • Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang it upside down over moist heat (and put some paper under it)

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the chalk whiting, Make a paste of it [not too thick, brushable] using a solvern of some sort. Denatured alcohol, acetone, MKE, or the like. The solvent soaks in, and as it evaporates, it pulls the oil out where it is absorbed by the whiting. applying a little heat from a hair dryer will speed the process. You may have to do it multiple times, but it works, and the solvent doesn't raise the grain. For a really bad stock, I soak the whole stock in mineral spirits for a time before useing the whiting. Good luck!
  • hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have takin alot of stains of of some stocks i redid with Coleman Fuel. Good Luck
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of the cabinet work i done, i have used a product by kleenstrip called peeler, it is a aeorsol stripper then wipe the surface down with MEK, draws any left over oils, after it drys, a light rub with some steel wool and apply finsh