In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22lr semi auto pistol

coachmbcoachmb Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Need some help from the experts. What would be a good 22lr semi auto pistol to do some plinking Browning, Ruger, Beretta, Walther etc?

Comments

• Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning Buckmark is reasonable cost, accurate, feels good in the hand, points well. It is a little finicky about being clean, but not
    overly so.

Then again, there is the Ruger, tough as nails, accurate, and in a whole bunch of configurations from short and plain, to stainless bull barrel. It has a good "feel" also but somewhat different balance from the browning. Very dependable, well designed, reasonably priced. A little complicated to take down, but most of the time you can do an acceptable (from the Ruger pistol's point of view) from the outside. Soak with some Hoppe's, let it sit, hose it out with gun cleaner(or brake cleaner), let dry, lightly oil and it's good to go for another 500 or so rounds.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am partial to brownings, they just feel good in my hand and easy to clean. I have shot the rugers and find the brownings and rugers about equal in accuracy. if it were me, go to a store that has a few to choose from anf find what fits you best.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Can't go wrong with a Ruger.
    Love my Slabside.[^][^][^]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at both, and then "borrowed" my uncle's high standard (he came a got it about a year ago). It was a duramatic model 101 (cheaper model, but I liked it). High Standard made some good guns and you can usually find them in good shape and reasonably priced.... Sport Kings are really nice...
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I swore by my Ruger MKII for a long time ... then I bought a Browning Buckmark Signiture .22 ... first Buckmark I knew was a keeper from the first time I shot it.

Its a quandry as to which I like best ... Ruger has a lot more parts & accessories avaiable to "customize" if you like to tinker ... but you can't go wrong with either!

Browning-N-Ruger.jpg

I'd like to hear from some of Beretta U22 Neo owners ... if there are any out there ... kinda reminds me of a Colt Cadett ... only plastic

I've not heard anything good about the Walther P-22

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Personaly,I think the Ruger is
    much more attractive.IMHO[;)]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Colt Cadet. Wouldn't trade it for any other 22. It is a very accurate piece.
  • Options
    James LyleJames Lyle Member Posts: 57
    edited November -1
    Ruger betrayed us on the assault rifle ban, and the Browning's safety is manipulated more easily, more like that of centerfire pistols.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just don't much like Rugers. I have a Buck Mark, which I like a lot, and a Beretta Neos. The Neos is in a class by itself. Fit, finish and feel are like a centerfire, and a good one at that. This is the one to buy, and for under $300 (way under if you work the auctions and dealers). Accuracy is not quite competition, but close with good ammo. Put the three together and it will be no contest which you pick. I am way impressed with the Neos, and I grew up shooting Colt Woodsman target pistols.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THINK RUGER - RUGER - RUGER!!!!

Keep off the Ridgeline