In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 742 - Jam Master ?

bascom32423bascom32423 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Why was the Rem 742 called the 'Jam Master'

Henry

Comments

• Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 742 is a Gas Operated Rifle, and those that condemn it were either too lazy or too stoopid to clean it. [:o)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    History has it that there was a design flaw it the action. When new, they didn't seem to have a problem, but as they became worn, they were prone to jam, and the 30-06 was aparently the worst. I had one for a number of years, took a lot of deer with it, and it never failed me, but I sold it and bought a bolt gun. I heard from my gunsmith that at one time Remington hat a quiet buy-back program that if you had a problem and complained to them about it, they would give a $200 credit toward a new 7400 if you returmed your 742 to them. Don't know if that is true or not, could just be rumor.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I HAVE WORKED ON 100'S OF THESE AND CONDEM ABOUT 2/4 PER YEAR, THE RAILS INSIDE THE RECEIVER WEAR OR ARE SCARED WHEN THE BOLT LOCK FAILS (DUE TO LACK OF MATENENCE). ANOTHER PROBLEM IS RUSTY CHAMBERS, HUNTER PUTS GUN AWAY AFTER DEER SEASON WITH OUT A GOOD CLEANING, CHAMBER RUSTS DURING THE HUMID SUMMER MONTHS, HUNTER GO'S TO THE RANGE TO SIGHT IN NEXT FALL, FIRE'S FIRST ROUND AND CASING STICKS TO THE CHAMBER WALL GAS SYSTEM STILL WORK'S SO THE EXTRACTOR IS PULLED THREW THE FRONT OF THE BOLT RUINING IT. NO BOLTS AVAILABLE FROM ANY ONE (EXCEPT THE GUY WITH THE JUNK RECEIVER).
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, the locking lugs on the bolt *CAN* catch on the top of the receiver and completely lock the gun up. There is very little you can do if this happens to your gun. Although it can be fixed by a VERY good gunsmith.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I JUST READ THE ABOVE LINK AND THAT'S AS GOOD AN EXPAINATION AS ANY, REM. DIDN'Y REALY HAVE A RECALL, MORE LIKE A CUSTOMER RELATIONS THING. THE PRICE THEY WOULD SELL YOU A REPLACEMENT FOR WAS JUST ABOUT WHAT YOU COULD BUY A NEW RIFLE FOR FROM ONE OF THE 'MART'S' PLUS THEY KEPT YOUR OLD RIFLE.