In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steyr M95 Carbine

bayoudavebayoudave Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a Steyr M95 carbine at a garage sale. How does the bolt work. I've pushed, pulled and everything just short o a hammer and chisel to get it to work.
I know it is a straight bolt type action but what releases the bolt so you can pull it back.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Sounds like its stuck in the closed position.....Should be able to pull the Bolt straight back.....The Forward section of the Bolt being a rotating section of the System...its possible it Stuck...Is it Loaded? Have you carefully inserted a Wood Ramrod into the barrel and checked...? Its posible that a previous owner fired a Round that expanded the case so much that the rotating Bolt is not able to Rotate and extract the case...or maybe there's a live Round jammed into the Chamber...and thats a worse case senario...I think it might behoove you to take it to a Good Gunsmith and let Him have a quick look...I can't stress enough Caution until You find out....Its very possible you have a Loaded Bomb in your hands....Just a personal observation, Please be careful and use caution......I wish You Well..........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    MballisticMballistic Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure the safety is off. (down position) If the safety is off pull back on the bolt REAL HARD. That should do it. These are not nearly as smooth as the Swiss straight pulls.
    Good luck,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These carbines are of special interest to me......so here's a suggestion. As stated by Capt.Kirk, you have an unknown situation until you get the bolt open. As stated by Mballistic, the safety should be in the off position. Find a safe outdoors location, place the butt of the rifle on a hard surface such as a concrete wall or tree trunk with the muzzle pointed at a safe backstop, put on eye and ear protection, and smack the bolt handle smartly with a large RUBBER mallet. This should break loose anything stuck in the chamber or any rust. Two or three times should be enough. Once the bolt comes open you can remove it from the rifle by then pushing the trigger forward, and while holding it in that position pull the bolt to the rear out of the receiver. Very often when the bolt is removed from the receiver the head will rotate and withdraw a half turn into the bolt body, so it will be necessary to pull and turn it to its original postion before re-installing in the receiver. It is also possible that a piece in the bolt has broken or that a foreign object has found its way into the bolt mechanism and caused it to jam after closing, so if the above method for opening the bolt does not work be sure to get back to us and we'll try another method of removal.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an afterthought....I notice that you said that you realize "it is a straight bolt type action", but that you did not use the term "straight pull bolt action". You do realize, I'm sure, that the bolt travels straight backward and forward, pull-push, and that there is no lifting or turning involved? The bolt head rotates internally inside the bolt body. I'm just making sure because you'd get a big kick out of how many friends I've handed one of these rifles to and then watched out of the corner of my eye while they tried, and tried again to open the action, as their faces turned redder and redder![}:)]Looks like your first post...Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Dave- I had the same thought that DG did. Many have never encountered a straight pull-back such as a Swiss, Ross, or Mannlicher.I would suggest, as The Capt, you might want to take it to a shop to see if there is a round in the chamber if you are not comfortable checking it yourself. I'm sure most would do that simple check for no charge. Whenever a saftey question of there being a round in the chamber, I never charged to find out. The charge for removal, if there is one, might be a different story. Just don't touch that trigger till you find out-Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Treat all guns as if they're loaded.
    With the muzzle pointed downward, flood some WD40 around the bolt so it flows forward into the receiver. A little extra wont hurt. give it an hour or so. Then with the butt resting on the ground hold the barrel at arms' length and using a rubber hammer or a heavy hammer against a 2x4 (two men), bash the bolt handle toward the rear of the gun. KEEP CLEAR OF THE MUZZLE during all this.