In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Derringer

weemsfweemsf Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hi again, I need some help on idenity of some derringers. I have an engraved Remington derringer, with pearl grips. It does have a number on bottom of barrel (798). I also have one that is not engraved with ivory grips, no. 1220. I would like to know what model they are, when made and some ideas on value if that is possible. I have included some pictures, and have more on Photo Bucket. Thanks for any help....Mark
Also I have a topic on the Colt derringer, looking for similar info...thanks if you can help. Here is the link to photo-bucket:
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/MTaylor_photos/Remington Derringers/

Pic no 1
RemDouble2.jpg
Pic no 2
RemDouble5.jpg
Pic no 3
RemDouble6.jpg
Pic no 4
RemDouble3.jpg
Pic no 5
RemDouble.jpg
Pic no 6
RemDouble8.jpg
Pic no 7
RemDouble10.jpg
Pic no 8
DerringerGroup2.jpg
thanks........Mark

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A widow in my church is wanting to sell her husband's guns to help pay funeral expenses. I took some of the guns to a local shop for appraisal. Among them was a Remington Derringer, nickel plated in 41 Rimfire. The dealer believes that the gun is a Type 4 and valued at a max of $1250. I can only find the number "94" on the little gun. Can anyone give me some help on this one? I really want to help the lady out if possible.

Baptist pastor and patriotic American<BR>Lover of God and Country
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend has recieved a Remington Derringer. It appears to be a rimfire. What finishes and cailibers were these manufactured in? I haven't had the opportunity to mike or slug the barrel so I am not sure of the caliber. The only marking that I can find other than the Remington arms Co is the stampning appearing to read 119. I do not have acces to a camera at this time for pictures.
    Any help wpould be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DID REM MAKE A 22 LR DERRINGER OR DO I HAVE A CONVERSION
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 3rd model Remington Derringer .41 was made 1888-1910. They were batch numbered, so can not be dated. Is there any way to tell if one is a pre-1899 antique, or are they all considered modern?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington Derringer, I thin model 41. The SN is 4979xx any idea as year manufacture and worth? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently aquired a third model Remington .41 rimfire derringer. The left side hinge is broken. Is it worth having it fixed or should I just leave it alone?
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please provide the lettering stamped on the barrel, exactly.

redcedars
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the top rib of the barrel it says: "REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION, N.Y." No other markings that I can see.

Baptist pastor and patriotic AmericanLover of God and Country
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its an Over/under, side flip release break up. Yup, its a Remington, Davis makes a copy in various calibers. But the Davis has the cross bolt safety. The .41 rim cartridges can be purchased through "Navy Arms". Or is it the Brass frame single shot, almost all of those little Gambler Guns were .41 Rim. Either way, if it is in very good to excellent condition, The Price quoted is correct, but if it is the Single shot Brass (turn around barrel), it is worth about half of that. [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weemsf....because of the marking that you have described, the deringer can only be a Type II, sometimes known as a Model 3. It was made between 1888 and 1911. It is probably the most common of all the models with approximately 80,000 made. Prices quoted are $225 for good condition to $650 for fine condition. This is NRA condition. If the condition is better than NRA fine, it will bring more and the nickle finish will be an adder also. $1250 is a bit of a stretch unless it is in really excellent condition. Only 3 models will bring that much, the very early, the transitional from the very early and the very late. This only because there were less than 100 of each made. I have also seen cased sets with all of the goodies that might bring that much. I have a Remington deringer as you describe, except that it isn't nickle plated. Good luck.....

max

P.S. The serial # is located on the underside of the barrel after you open it. If this is your #94, then it is a very early gun for this model and was certainly made in 1888.

load the old ones with the old tools.....<P>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BPmax has the correct info, although my price guides and my limited experience with market values suggest a little higher value than he does.

One thing to check is the hinge at the top. These were prone to breaking from abuse by either flipping the barrels up or over tightening the screw. If the hinge is broken the value is greatly reduced.

redcedars
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. The hinge is in perfect condition. The gun will rate at least very good condition, which, if I understand the NRA ratings, is a step above fine. The barrels fit very snugly into the frame. It has been "dry fired" some as I can see the inprint of the firing pin on the barrels.

Baptist pastor and patriotic AmericanLover of God and Country
  • Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington double derringer was never serial numbered. The 94 you see is an assembly number. To get 1250 the gun would have to be a like new early model. Yours is the most common model with one style being made after it with Remington UMC on the barrel. I have 2 of the type you have asked about ....one is 90% but has a cracked hinge [$400] the other has good hinges but is only 60-65% [$325]. The 90% gun would most likely bring 650-700 if the hinge were not cracked...

<br>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gunut1:

I have heard that the little doubles were not numbered too, but E. Dixon Larson in Remington Tips indicates that they were, and gives ranges for each variation. He says the numbers were relatively low and apparently must have been repeated, at least up until the last model. If so, it would be consistent with my observations. I have a gun numbered in the teens, and I have seen many 2 and 3 digit numbered guns, as well as a few 4 digit guns.

redcedars
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunut1....Interesting observation on the assembly #....I have seen assembly #'s on old loading tools and molds (Sharps molds) and even serialized old tools, but didn't associate assembly #'s with guns. Do you know if they had a set range of assembly #'s, i.e., 1 to 999 and then start over, or was it a larger range. Mine has a # of 990. Just curious.....

max

load the old ones with the old tools.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BPmax

Per E. Dixon Larson: (and a slight correction to my earlier post)

1st model: serial 1-1320

2nd: 1-2056

3rd: 1-1400

4th: 1-3022

5th: 1-L97257

6th: L75925-L99941

redcedars