In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 597 .17

HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any accuracy reports on this ?

Comments

• HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has Remington fixed the jamming problem with this gun model?How is the accuracy with this model using the .17 cal? Thanks...Hunter
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Hunter30, Just got one a couple weeks ago to test out and though about 100 rounds has not jammed like the 597 22 or the 22Mag did for me. As far as accuracy goes I was amazed at the 17 HMR again! Not equal to the Marlin VS or the Savage 93/17 but I didn't expect it to be! Best so far is 1.21 inches, 5 shots @ 100 yards and dialed in 18 clicks on a Tasco 4x16 High Country and printed a 5 shot 2.4 inch 200 yard group! Still not bad for a rimfire and a semi at that! This one can be bought as I just wanted to test one out and if I keep it much longer it will find a permanent truck space! I have all three chamberings in the 597 and this one is by far the most pleasing one! While shooting the 17, I also took the 597 22Mag and shot it using the Remington 33 grain VMax load and at 100 yards would keep 5 in a 3"Shoot and See" target but at 200 yards went about 9 inches!!!! GHD
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    LTS, While I am not a big fan of SA rifles, I would add that the 597 in any chambering is much more pleasing than ole man Rugers ranch rifles!!!! How the hell did they sell so many!!! No wonder the coyote population is growing! If all the ranchers had "ranch rifles" they just shot the way they went and hit one sometimes!!! Bet this stirs the pot!!! GHD
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 597 is a piece of crap. Everyone we have ever sold had a jamming problem and I hear the .17's are as bad as the rest. I would not touch this gun. Buy a bolt and save the frustration !!!!