In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W M-37 Refinish

ALS55ALS55 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W m-37 Airweight that I would like to have refinished in a brushed nickel or other like finishes. Being that is has a aluminum frame can this be done? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    James LyleJames Lyle Member Posts: 57
    edited November -1
    Of course, and the people to do it for you are the makers, shucks and monkey.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't feel the best qualified to give you a satisfactory answer on your question, because I'm not sure what can be done to the aluminum frame. Let me make these observations--alumimum alloy frames are usually either black or silver from the factories. The black is anodized which is not something most small shops are able to do; and when the color wears off it is usually best sent back to the factory for another treatment. When they are silver color, as is often the case with a semi-auto pistol that has a stainless slide, it is my belief that they are still anodized--just clear without color. This because aluminum will corrode in its own fashion and discolor, just like unprotected steel. Certainly the steel parts of your revolver can be plated with satin nickel or another substance, but I am not certain that this can be done to aluminum. You'll need a plating expert's opinion as to what can be done to the frame. Perhaps you could get the steel parts plated and leave the frame "in the white" with a clear protective coating.
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    What about Brownells Aluma-hyde II ? It's a bake on Epoxy spray paint. $10.00 a can, comes in Parkerizing Gray, Steel Gray, Matte Black, Earth Brown, O.D. Green, Simi-Gloss Black and Gloss Clear.
    I havent used any but looked into it for my Mod. 37.
    BROWNELLS catalog #51, page 175. Let me know if it works, I may try it !

dipit,dipit,dipit!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by James Lyle
    Why would I be, punk? I just happen to have a very wide level of interest and expertise, that's all. keep watching. I've posted more gun topics today than everyone else combined. The reason that they dont is that they dont KNOW enough.

22925whocarespg.JPG

You are posting crap!

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it can be done, and it will make a very used gun look almost new.

Personally, for my own carry guns, I prefer a gun that already shows wear. That way I am not so worried about putting a scratch on it...or it getting a little tarnished.

If you decide to proceed with the refinish, find someone who does good work, even though you may have to send the gun off.

My 2-cents worth,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Refinishing is certainly possible, BUT:
    If your gun is now worth $300, and you spend $100 to refinish it, it will not be worth $400, but possibly only $200!
    Refinish only if you are willing to accept the fact that it does not add to the value of the piece.
    Have fun, be careful!

Morty