In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading

mickeyc0mickeyc0 Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just started reloading last night. I bought the lee anniversary kit and the problem i have is when i seat the round i seat it in too far. i dont know when to stop applying pressure to the lever. Can anyone help me out. BTW i'm reloading 45 acp

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have never reloaded, but am interested in doing so. I was given a RCBS Green Machine that has .357 dies in it. I have read a little about this machine and am confused. Is this machine set for only that caliber and can't be changed. If so is it worth anything if I sell it to get other reloader?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can any of the experts recommend a good reloading setup for a reasonable amount of money? Best equipment for the buck, so to speak I'd like to reload mostly handgun ammunition.. ie: .45 long colt and ACP, and .30 Carbine.

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Best reloading equipment to buy? For rifles and pistols. What do I need to get started.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I have made the decision to get on the reloading band wagon. I'm looking for someone in the nor cal---east of Sacramento area as a tutor. From walking me through the purchase of a dependable set up to educating me on the first run. I have lots of brass--38, 9mm 40, 45, 44, 223 243 308 and soon--44.40. I'm a tactile learner so hands on with a mentor is far more effective to me as opposed to just buying equipment and reading a book. Plus---meeting new people.

Thanks
    Bret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi again, i was just wondering what the proper reloading kit would be to a begginer at reloading? maybe someting strong but affordable

thanks again

andrew

one shot, one kill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    with all the ammo disappearing these days, I have made the decision to load my own. I have 9mm and .45 in hand gun calibers and am just looking to start with those for now. I found a Lee Pro 1000 (progressive type press) pretty cheap. Just need some advice on what else is needed. i.e... dies and such. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where I can get Norma MRP powder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where I can get Norma MRP powder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm considering reloading as an option to putting up with the high cost of ammo everywhere. I would like to start off with the least expensive re loader I can find that I guess would be a LEE-LOADER single stage press,I think. I want to load two calibers 308 Winchester and 45acp can someone please tell me about how much could I expect to spend on this start up venture,any help in this area would be much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance. tavarish
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you go with lee buy their dies as the powder measure requiers a "expand the case mouth die" to work.IMG_0956.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im looking to start loading my own bullets. Does anybody have any suggestions on machines, or a website that I can take a look at them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Parisi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    My son just gave me a pair of handguns both ruger blackhawks. One is chambered in 30-357 mag the other is 32-357 mag. Does anyone have any data on either one. I have been able to find loading dies and forming dies for the 30-357. nothing more than that. NEED HELP.
    Thank you
    Lloyd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of getting into reloading and was wondering what it would entail. What reloading manual would you suggest ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking for loads for a 25-35 using 100gr. bullets. can not find anything in my old manuals. thanks. e-mail. lpede@infionline.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What type of dies will interchange with an RCBS Press? Or will any ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting for 20+ years but never have tried reloading. I am looking for advise about which type of equipment you recommend for a new reloader (I'll be starting off with 40 S&W). I would also appreciate a list of "need to have", and "nice to have" equipment. I've been doing a lot of reading and am leaning towards the Lee PRO 1000 progressive. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does the ring on the bullet set the refrence point for seating or should not pay any attention to it? i am loading a 325 wsm and the coal is 2.860 when seating the hornady 150 grain sp bullet to set at length it is below the ring. 2.820 is in the ring. so do i make them short or seat below the ring for the correct length? having the same problem with seating my 270 wsm. seat to the ring is way below the coal. any info will be appreciated. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some 7.5, 8's & #9 shot. Can I mix all these together to reload some AA's without any ill effects on patter,or reloader??? Thanks Tom.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm shopping around for a complete reloading kit. The calibers i'm gonna reload are 270 win, 7mm-08, 40 smith, 44 mag, and 45 acp. any help in suggesting a press that has the option of both rifle and pistol die capability and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's the best and fairly enexpensive way to get started reloading? It would most likely be one caliber: .45 ACP.-Marcus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I realize this question is almost like asking what the best caliber is for hunting, but here goes: What would the average person need to get set up for reloading? I am looking for a hobby that would actually reduce the expense of my other hobbies. I need to know what to get to start out loading .45acp, .40s&w, .30/.30, and 30.06. I am really not concerned about shotgun shells. I appreciate any advise!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cant find any 357 brass---can you load 38 special brass up to 357 specs ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have over 3,000 empty shell casings. About 2,000 of them are once fired factories. The rest were all reloaded at least once some twice. I have been told that they should not be reloaded more than once. Is this true? Or how many times can a caseing be used?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what are the pro and cons of neck sizing to fl ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading. I have 100's of fired 30-06 brass. How hard would it be to cut them down to .308. I just bought a .308 and haven't done enough shootin yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, here's the deal. I've never reloaded or known anybody that reloaded. Now that I've bought an SKS I'd love to start reloading for it and my CZ 40P, and I have no idea where to start.
    My questions are these...
    1.) Is it worth it to reload 7.62x39 rounds? What about 40 S&W?

2.) What do I need to start, best value reloader, etc???

3.) What literature do you recommend???

4.) open to comments.......

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded for my 270 for the past 25 yrs.Always used 150 and 130 hornadys.Have worked up loads for each that shoot to same point so there is no resighting when going from elk to whitetails.My brother has started shooting barnes x bullets and says the hornadys are old news and I was wondering if they are that great to be worth the effort of developing a new load.I think not but would like some expert input
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where is the best and cheapest place online to order reloading components and accessories. Any help would be helpful.Besides www.midwayusa.com Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guy's, first off I would like to thank everyone for all the advice and comments you have made regarding my questions. I would like to get into reloading and recently saw an item on GB. The # is
    14479963. Is this a good purchase or are there better deals with dies out there. I dont know a damn thing about it so give me everything you've got.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Have NOT seen it in years.[V]
  • Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    Lars Ohlsson

Pengabergsv?gen 40
    374 37 Karlshamn

Tel: 0709-95 57 55
    E-mail: norma@pengaberget.se

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN ONE PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED PIECE, BUT, TO SKID ACROSS THE LINE BROADSIDE, THROUGHLY USED UP, WORN OUT, LEAKING OIL, SHOUTING GERONIMO!!"
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try www.sinclairintl.com

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't MRP the exact same powder as RL-22 (or is it RL-19)?
    Anyway, one of those 2 is simply relabeled MRP.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,..the MRP and RL22 are the same in a way. The RL22 is MRP that did not fall within a more strict tolerance range for burn rates, so it is relabeled as RL22.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the explaination JustC. The only thing I ever used RL-22 in was a "plinking" rifle (100gr per plink [:0]).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ahhh,..100gr charges[8D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never used MRP but I do load the 7mm Remington Magnum with RL22 for a friend of my son-in-laws. His 7 mag. wouldn't group very well and he was about to give up and trade it. I loaded him some Speer 145 grain Grand Slam bullets over a slightly reduced charge of RL22 and he is now one tickled puppy with his toy. He's in the deer killing business now and regularly sends his empty cases over to be reloaded. The load I use for him is not a maximum load but it is close to the max. recommended charge in the Speer manual and it shoots very tight groups in his rifle.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael,

The only way to find MRP in the U.S. now is to call around to all of the suppliers and check all of the smaller shops to see if they have anything left in inventory. Once again, Norma has been pulled from our market. Sinclair doesn't list any but Graf & Sons has N202 and N204 still in stock and at a reduced price.

http://www.grafs.com/shopRegularproducts.cfm/startItem/1

MRP is similar to Re-22 and I stress similar as JustC points out. Re-22 sometimes falls a fair distance outside of the range of acceptable, hence a recall a couple of years ago. One lot of Re-22 tested close to Re-19 with some portions trending to be slightly faster than that. This lot was recalled and replaced quickly.

I might be talking to Norma before SHOTShow but if not, I'll certainly see them at the show as I have an appointment with their engineers so I can ask about distribution. Norma has a list of distributors on their website but they all handle brass and not the powder. This quote below is part of the problem, I believe:

2002 Ruag Ammotech AG becomes new owner. Norma manufactures 23 million cartridges in 70 calibres. This allows us to offer one of the biggest ranges of rifle ammunition in the world.

I don't mean that in negative way, it's just that relatively new owners usually have different ideas about which direction to take a new purchase. Ruag is a great company for high quality armaments and ammunition.

http://www.swissmun.com/e/

I think that you can safely test Re-22 as a similar substitute for MRP but I would give Re-25 a try and see if this slightly slower powder will work for your applications. I bought as much MRP and MRP2 as I could afford at the time but it's going to run here shortly since I use it frequently. I am in the process of testing some of the Ramshot powders and the Hunter powder seems to be doing pretty good. Otherwise you can try the V V N-160/165 or N-560, more really good matches for the Re-22. The Vit powders burn very clean as do the Ramshot powders.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Michael,

The only way to find MRP in the U.S. now is to call around to all of the suppliers and check all of the smaller shops to see if they have anything left in inventory. Once again, Norma has been pulled from our market. Sinclair doesn't list any but Graf & Sons has N202 and N204 still in stock and at a reduced price.

http://www.grafs.com/shopRegularproducts.cfm/startItem/1

MRP is similar to Re-22 and I stress similar as JustC points out. Re-22 sometimes falls a fair distance outside of the range of acceptable, hence a recall a couple of years ago. One lot of Re-22 tested close to Re-19 with some portions trending to be slightly faster than that. This lot was recalled and replaced quickly.

I might be talking to Norma before SHOTShow but if not, I'll certainly see them at the show as I have an appointment with their engineers so I can ask about distribution. Norma has a list of distributors on their website but they all handle brass and not the powder. This quote below is part of the problem, I believe:

2002 Ruag Ammotech AG becomes new owner. Norma manufactures 23 million cartridges in 70 calibres. This allows us to offer one of the biggest ranges of rifle ammunition in the world.

I don't mean that in negative way, it's just that relatively new owners usually have different ideas about which direction to take a new purchase. Ruag is a great company for high quality armaments and ammunition.

http://www.swissmun.com/e/

I think that you can safely test Re-22 as a similar substitute for MRP but I would give Re-25 a try and see if this slightly slower powder will work for your applications. I bought as much MRP and MRP2 as I could afford at the time but it's going to run here shortly since I use it frequently. I am in the process of testing some of the Ramshot powders and the Hunter powder seems to be doing pretty good. Otherwise you can try the V V N-160/165 or N-560, more really good matches for the Re-22. The Vit powders burn very clean as do the Ramshot powders.

Best of luck!